Women Who Inspire Me

Women Who Inspire Me

Talk About Girl Power

18
Women Who Inspire Me

While trolling the internet these days I see some amazing stories of women reaching out and standing up for the things they believe in, so I have decided to share a list of women who I find inspiring. All of these women have done something to change the world, big or small, and I think they deserve a shout out. So cheers to these women.

1. Michelle Obama

She did undergrad at Princeton and Graduated from Harvard Law, which is super impressive. Not only is she really smart, but she uses her brains for good, as an advocate for poverty awareness, physical activity and healthy eating. She also is a plus fashion icon, with killer arms. You keep on doing your thing Michelle.

2. Emma Watson

Everyone on planet earth knows her from her role in the Harry Potter movies but some people may not know she is an activist for women’s rights. She also found the time in-between films to graduate from Brown with a degree in English Literature. She runs a national feminist book club and was appointed as a UN Women Goodwill Ambassador. She is pure magic.

3. Tina Fey

Tina Fey is extremely well known, but she uses her fame to make a difference. If you haven’t read her book, Bossypants, you should because it was on the New York Times Best Seller List for five weeks. She has worked with many charities through out her career and use her talent in comedy to make the world a better place.

4. Anna Wintour

Anna Wintour has dominated the fashion industry since 1988, as the editor-in-chief of American Vogue. She is not only praised for her amazing eye for trends, but her support of young designers. It is rumored that she rises before 6am and plays tennis before doing her hair and makeup before going into the office to rule the fashion world.

5. Patricia Arquette

Patricia has a decorated film and television career, but still finds time to form a non-profit organization supporting sanitation and community development projects in Haiti. She also raises awareness about breast cancer by running in the annual Race for the Cure.

6. Malala Yousafzia

She is the youngest to receive the Nobel Peace Prize and spends her days running her organization The Malala Fund, which promotes education for girls and also aids Syrian refugee children. Did I mention she is only a teenager? Yep. Changing the world at 17, at that age I couldn’t even figure out how to cook ramen noodles correctly.

7. Mo'ne Davis

Every summer ends with me and my Dad spending our days watching the Little League World Series, where Mo’ne Davis became the first female pitcher to win the Series by throwing some amazing pitches consistently. She also handled her win with true grace and forgave some serious haters on Twitter. That's two strikes for the patriarchy, and a grand slam for Mo’ne Davis.

8. Ayla Ludlow

I was researching the Women’s World Cup Champions because I knew they would be perfect for the list, but I found someone that I think they would love to represent their space, because picking just one member of the team was impossible. Alya is a 13 year-old girl from Massachusetts, who is a soccer player and fan. She stood up to her brother and defended women’s soccer team. She wrote a letter to President Barack Obama and his wife, asking for them help to make a difference in women’s equality in sports. It gives me pleasure to know that the next generation of women is taking a stand and knows that “playing like a girl” means being fierce and strong. Ayla got her dream come true when the President invited her to introduce the team and himself at the White House event honoring the World Cup Champions. The USA Women’s soccer team is inspiring young girls, who are inspiring others, and that is a chain that I hope never stops.

9. Julian Williams

I don’t know her personally, yet she attended TLU. I heard her story through a sorority sister and was amazed. Julian was diagnosed with cancer a week before her 19th birthday. I cannot begin to imagine the shock and fear that comes with this, but Julian has showed everyone in the community she is strong. She is battling hard and has never lost her faith, which to me qualifies her to be placed on this list. She is not famous, she is just a regular girl, who is spreading awareness about Ewing’s sarcoma and showing us all to have faith, and to me that is the most inspiring thing she can do. For more information on her check out her blog: Julian’s Leap through Cancer.

10. Miley Cyrus

Everyone is quick to judge her, but Miley is inspiring to many young people and I find her works in many charities to be nothing less than inspiring. She has shown the world she is going to be herself no matter the haters think, and I believe that can be a good lesson for some and she also spends her time and money working with countless charities and organizations. Fun fact, in 2014 Miley was named the 4th most charitable celebrity of the year by “Do Something” a non-profit organization. You may have only seen her dancing around with giant bears, but behind the scene she is working with organizations like The Happy Hippie foundation and speaking out for the LBGTQ community. You go, girl!

Inspiration does not mean that any of the ladies are perfect, but they are people that I look up too for many reasons. So keep on doing your thing ladies, people are watching and I hope learning form your grace. Inspiration is all around us, so look around and tell the women in your life that they inspire you.