Women In The Workplace, As Told By A College Girl

The realities of sexual harassment allegations are more difficult than people realize.

93

Social media continues to play a valuable role in how those with power, authority and wealth handle either being accused of sexual harassment, or being the victim of it.

In light of the many recent victims of sexual assault brought forward by multiple women in politics and in Hollywood, it can sometimes become difficult to differentiate political motives behind an allegation. Whether you choose to watch any major news network or listen to any major radio station, there is a constant pattern of how each person in the situation chooses to protect their image.

You may by reading this and are already thinking – here we go, another Republican who thinks that this is something to help further the liberal agenda. Wrong. Here's why.

As a female, low income, daughter of family filled with (legal) immigrants, I can firmly attest that women are still, in fact, living in a man's world. But those living in their personal bubbles that block them from the harsh realities of life, otherwise known as celebrities, do not face the same problems that those below them do.

Like many other college students, I am forced to maintain a part-time job while being enrolled in college, full-time. While working, women encounter many situations similar to the accusations brought forward where we are forced to stay quiet in order to be successful at what we do. But, unlike celebrities, women like me do not have access to full-time security, attorneys, access to microphones or access to change employment.

When I, for example, chose to put forth an accusation as those in Hollywood or Politics do, the response from one of my managers was to "brush it off," because "he just thought you were attractive." After this happened, I began to realize that allegations such as this only mean something to those with a name in the headlines. Women with power bring forth their stories, and some hope that by doing this, it will encourage others to do the same. But women in my situation will very rarely find the same outcome as those in Hollywood or Politics will.

Fortunately, for me, verbal harassment was the end of my story. Even though I later found myself in common situations in the workplace, I chose to keep it to myself for the simple fact that I could not afford to lose my only source of income. But for other women, in scenarios such as this, that is only the beginning of their story.

As an advocate for women's empowerment, I will never discourage somebody from bringing their accusation to the attention of those who need to know what is happening behind the scenes. But, what I can say is that from experience, I cannot promise you it will end in ways the media portrays it to. As much as I'd like to say that bringing forward honest allegations will help reduce the number of harassments that happen in the workplace, I don't think it ever will.

Sexual harassment is not a joke. If you choose to stay with a man who once claimed they did not sexually harass a woman, then it later comes out that he did you do not deserve to be a part of this ongoing fight. Nor do you deserve to call yourself an advocate for women empowerment and women's rights.