To The Girl Dreaming Of Her Future Career, Not Her Future Family

You're changing the status quo.

254
Unsplash

To The Girl Dreaming Of Her Future Career,

Growing up, one of my favorite things to do was to dream about what my future family and my future life would look like. I remember having my children’s names picked out and I knew exactly what my husband would look like and where we would live. I thought I had it all planned out, down to the very last detail. Now, fast forward a few years, I don’t dream about any of it.

When Ithink about my future now, I do see myself married with children, and of course, having golden retrievers running around. I see my husband having a good job and our annual family vacations and our kids being able to do things they love. But I no longer dream about those things anymore. Instead, I dream about my future career and all the amazing things that come with it.

I dream about the potential places I’ll live and travel for my job. I dream about the types of things I’ll write about and report on. I dream about moving up in my career and potentially being a News Anchor. I pray to God every day that I will have a successful career and make these dreams a reality because, right now, my career is what's most important to me.

In college, I am surrounded by so many girls who all can't wait to settle down and get married and have children. They dream about their current boyfriend becoming their husbands and getting married soon after college.

That’s the life they dream about, but it’s not the life I dream about.

At first, I thought it was weird that I didn’t dream my future family like everyone else. I would think to myself, what’s wrong with me? Am I doing something wrong? The answer is no. There’s nothing wrong with me and what I dream about, or them and what they dream about. We are all different and are at different phases in our lives.

Right now, I’m 18 years old, and I’m fully aware that things may change. In the next few years, I may meet the man I want to marry and settle down with. Or, things may not change. At this very moment, my career is the most important thing to me and my future.

So to the girl who dreams about her future career more than her future husband and kids, just know you’re not alone. You keep rocking it and working hard and reaching your goals. One day, you’ll get to where you want to be and it will all be worth it.

Sincerely,

A Girl Who Dreams Of Her Future Career