Bikini Vs. Burkini
Politics

Bikini Vs. Burkini

Bikini or Burkini, you're always the subject of critique.

170
Bikini Vs. Burkini

Because everyone enjoys a day at the beach, we all want to be comfortable when we go. Sprawl out on the beach and show off our newest look. For some people, that's a swimsuit. Others, it means a pair of shorts and tank top or even a bikini. For even others, it means a burkini.

And all of them receive criticism. A woman can't go on a beach today and be completely comfortable because they will be critiqued every step of the way. Words are thrown at women no matter what they wear when they're trying to enjoy the sand and the sea.

Slut.

Whore.

Prude.

Words women hear no matter what they want to wear out to enjoy a day to themselves. Seventy years ago, the bikini came out as a form of swimwear for women. It was loved by many, but there was one catch...

Women could be fined by the police for being indecent in public. We have a right to wear what we want, but it was literally policed form the moment the bikini entered public life.

Policing women's bodies was literally a job, and I'd love to think that we as a society have gotten past that as a society. After all, women hold more jobs and continue to work towards equality every day. We can wear what we want, right?

Wrong.

Now, not only do women get those words thrown at them for not wearing too little, they are criticized for wearing too much. We can't win.

Our Muslim sisters want to be comfortable at the beach too, but in France, their Burkini has been banned.

Again, women are literally policed and even forced to remove clothing because someone felt that a woman's right to dress how she chose should be against the law. Like in the picture above, women were forced to remove clothing because someone felt she was too covered.

France might be a secular country, but that gives no right for them to order women to undress on a public beach. It is only Muslim women as well, seeing as nuns have been welcome to the beach wearing whatever they choose.

The Islamaphobia in France is strong when a moment is set aside to consider the difference between a nun's outfit and a Muslim woman's outfit. Even a wet suit covers just as much skin as a burkini, but only one of the three mentioned outfits is banned.

A woman should be able to dress in whatever way makes her feel most comfortable without being publicly humiliated by the police.

Whether that be a bikini or a burkini, it is 2016 and no woman deserves to be humiliated for her choice in clothing.

Let us women have our day at the beach.