I Am No Less Of A Woman Because I Choose To Work

A response to, "I Don't Want My Husband To Help With The Housework."

37
Wordpress

This past week an article entitled I Don't Want My Husband To Help With The Housework was shared with me.

The article made some interesting points. I, myself, grew up in a home where my father was the breadwinner and my mother was a homemaker. For the most part, it worked for them.

This is the ideal situation for some families and they can make it work tremendously. I have absolutely nothing against women who choose to stay at home and work around the house/raise children. Lord knows it takes a strong woman, I could never do it for more than a few years at a time.

The author of this article discusses how some women receive true enjoyment out of such a lifestyle. Some women genuinely enjoy making a home and that is spectacular! So long as that is a decision both she and her spouse made, more power to them!

The one problem I found in this article was that the author said by contributing and handling the finances, leading a household, and competing at a professional level with their husbands, women are losing what makes a woman sacred. They are becoming less feminine.

I am no less of a woman because I choose to work.

Fair warning - I am neither married nor a parent so everything I say is from an outsider’s perspective. Ever since I was little and saw my parents’ dynamic, I knew I wanted to be a working mother. When my father came home from work, that was it.

He couldn’t even be bothered to bring his used dinner dishes to the sink which he ate in bed. Now, I know not every household with a stay at home parent is like this, but it is something I simply never wanted for myself.

I enjoy advancing in my professional life. I thrive on the high-pressure work environment and the rewards that come along with hard work and dedication. I simply would not be happy stuck in a house all day taking care of children and cleaning. Does this make me any less of a woman? Hell no.

To all of the working moms out there, hats off to you. To all of the stay at home moms out there, hats off to you.

You are no less of a woman because you contribute to the finances.

You are no less of a woman because you lead a household.

You are no less of a woman because you stay at home with your kids.

You do not have to be meek and quiet, as the author put it, to be a woman. You can be the most loud-mouthed, blunt, hard-headed person but if you have two X chromosomes and/or identify as a woman, then you are a woman.

I am sick and tired of this stigma that “if you’re not this or that or you don’t do this or that then you’re less of a woman.”

It’s bullshit.

What makes a woman a woman is her ability to do all things on God’s green earth. I have seen women with broken bones run marathons, women who have gone to the moon, women who have worked while raising a family, women who have stayed at home while raising a family, women who have done everything in their power to provide for their families. It is incredible what women can do - we can literally grow another human in our bodies.

So, to the author of “I Don't Want My Husband To Help With The Housework.” I respect your traditional values and opinions on how a household should be run, but I am no less of a woman because I choose to work.