11 Eagles Songs You Probably Haven't Heard

In classic rock, a lot of great songs get overlooked if they weren't singles back in the day. Here's a few you might've passed over.

1101
Classic Rock Mystique

The Eagles have been in the news a lot lately. There was an album in 2007 (their first studio album since 1979), a tour, and then another tour in conjunction with a documentary titled History of the Eagles (the documentary is now streaming on Netflix). Unfortunately, their most recent story has been a much sadder one. On January 18th, lead singer and co-founder of the Eagles, Glenn Frey, passed away. On Monday, February 15th, his band mates, Don Henley, Joe Walsh, and Timothy B. Schmit, as well as friend and songwriting partner, Jackson Browne, will come together to honor him at the Grammy's. In honor of that, and Mr. Frey, here are the 11 best Eagles songs that you probably haven't heard.

11. Earlybird

A song from the band's very first album in 1972, Earlybird coincided perfectly with their initial country rock sound. Bernie Leadon, who co-wrote the song with bass player Randy Meisner, sings and plays a killer banjo, as crazy as that sounds. The song leans more to the country side than the rock side, but with its good beat and nice lyrics, it's classic Eagles "early years" song.

"High up on his own, the eagle flies alone and he is free."

10. Tryin'

Also from their debut album, Tryin' is another classic early years song. This song tells the story of a kid "arriving in the city" to play music. Written and sung by Meisner, it's very up beat and this time is more on the rock side of the spectrum. The perfect song for a road trip playlist.

"And you can make it in the end. I'm gonna make it with my friends, and I'm tryin'."

9. Ol' 55

Ol' 55 from the 1974 album On the Border is not an original Eagles song, but they certainly made it their own. Sung by both Glenn Frey and Don Henley, it is a steady, calm rock song that's not exactly slow, but not up beat either. Frey and Henley sing about cruising down the freeway just as the sun is starting to come up. Another perfect song for a road trip play list, maybe?

"And now the sun's comin' up, I'm ridin' with Lady Luck. Freeway cars and trucks."

8. Midnight Flyer

Another song from On the Border, Midnight Flyer is sung by Meisner. It's heavy on the banjo and sounds like something written long ago, and was probably better suited to the Desperado album. Nevertheless, Midnight Flyer is a fun fantastic song with fantastic vocals by Meisner that is both easy and entertaining to sing along to, especially if you like country music.

"Maybe I'll go to Santa Fe, maybe San Anton, any 'ol town is where I'm bound."

7. Outlaw Man

Outlaw Man is a song that actually was on 1974's Desperado album. It is important to note that Desperado was inspired by a book on gunslingers and outlaws, prompting Frey, who also sings this song, to make the comparison between rockstars and outlaws. Outlaw Man tells the story and thoughts of an outlaw, and some might argue a rockstar as well.

"A life upon the road is the life of an outlaw man."

6. Most of Us Are Sad

Another song from the debut album, Most of Us Are Sad, sung by Meisner but written by Frey, is a song that a lot of people could probably relate to. It is a song of sadness, as well as love, and hope. It's mellow beat and good harmonies make it the perfect tune for a rainy day.

"Most of us are sad, no one lets it show."

5. Certain Kind of Fool

Much like the other song on this list from the Desperado album, Certain Kind of Fool, sung by Meisner, could be about a rockstar as much as it could an old west gunslinger. Like a lot of Meisner's songs, its more on the rock side than some of the others on the album, but still features an acoustic guitar sound that is very much "country."

"And it's a certain kind of fool who like to hear the sound of his own name."

4. I Wish You Peace

From the hit 1975 album One of These Nights, which helped to establish the Eagles as America's number one band, was sung by Leadon, and co-written by Leadon and his then-girlfriend Patti Davis, daughter of Ronald and Nancy Reagan. Though it was later criticized by Henley as "smarmy cocktail music" that the Eagles were "certainly" not proud of, it's a good song. It's cool and calm and peaceful. Leadon's smooth vocals coupled with his kind lyrics make the song a good way to end, well, anything.

"I wish you peace when times are hard, a light to guide you through the dark."

3. Doolin' Dalton/Desperado Reprise

While many people have heard Doolin' Dalton and most have heard Desperado, my money is on few have heard the reprise of the two songs. The song, which is the final song on the Desperado album, wraps up the story that the album seems to tell, especially those parts told in the two songs it reprises.

"The queen of diamonds let you down, she was just an empty fable. The queen of hearts, you say, you've never met."

2. Pretty Maids All in a Row

1976's Hotel California was by and large the Eagles' most successful album. It was also their first to feature guitarist Joe Walsh, who sung and co-wrote this song. Despite the fact that most songs on this album are solidly rock, what Walsh is known for, the only song he sings on the album is a slow, almost rock ballad, about the passing of time and the loss of love.

"Why do we give up our hearts to the past? And why must we grow up so fast?"

1. Try and Love Again

Another song by Meisner from Hotel California, Try and Love Again is an essential love song - almost. It tells the story of a man who was hurt before, trying to decide if it is time for him to move on and "love again". Even Frey thought the song had the potential to be a hit and once said that it would've been the next single from Hotel California had Meisner decided to stay with the band. The song is still a hit in my book.

"Well, it might take years to see through all these tears. Don't let go, when you find it you will know."