Without Sherman, What's Next For The Seahawks?

Can the Seahawks survive without the face of their defense?

38
Wikimedia

I know, I know, it has been a while since I’ve written to you, friends. I wanted to have something for you Friday morning following Thursday night’s showdown in the Valley of the Sun. After watching nine weeks worth of bad Thursday football games, there was finally something to interest me!

All day long I had been hyped; it's not every day you get Seahawks football a couple days early. It was supposed to be something to wash the taste of the Redskins game out of our mouths, it was supposed to be a game that would help get us back on track with a nice win over the flailing Cardinals. And of course, those awesome neon green color rush uniforms!

The truth is, I have been slightly in mourning over that game.

Yes, we managed to win the battle, and in doing so improve to 3-0 in division play. But in doing so, will it cost us the war?

During the course of the game, down went the future Hall of Famer Richard Sherman. The lone original Legion of Boomer who had never dealt with a significant injury, the model of consistency, and the true face of the defense.

As important as Earl, Kam, Bobby, and Michael Bennett are, Sherman is the one who helped put that defense on the map. The one who’s brash, outspoken nature made Seattle a team impossible to ignore. When the Seahawks take the field against the Atlanta Falcons, it will be Seattle’s first game without Sherman on the field in exactly 2,500 days.

Let me repeat: 2,500 days. You have to go all the way back to 2011, his rookie year, to find a game where Sherman did not start. Since then, the Seahawks have boasted the number one pass defense. They are first in opposing QBR, yards allowed per game, and, and passing yards allowed per game. Sherman is also first in the NFL since 2011 with interceptions (32) and pass deflections (99). Losing Sherman isn’t just a moral blow, it’s a physical one as well. Replacing such production will be a Paul Bunyan-sized tall order.

You might say, “That’s not just Sherman, he has other superstar talents to help him out like Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor!”

Yes, there is some truth to that. Having two other future Hall of Famers on the back end to provide support certainly does help. But this goes two ways. Earl and Kam would not be able to do all of the marvelous things they are able to do if they have to help babysit a corner on the entire left side of the field. Sherman’s lockdown ability gives the safeties the freedom to run wild and wreck opposing quarterback’s days.

Sherman’s injury couldn’t have come at a worse time to try to reshuffle the secondary. Tonight we take on the Atlanta Falcons. Although the Falcons have struggled with an obvious Super Bowl hangover, they still field one of the most prolific offenses in all of football.

Matt Ryan and Julio Jones are still more than capable of torching any secondary. Losing someone of Richard Sherman’s caliber certainly does not help. The Falcons lost star running back Davonta Freeman on the third play of Atlanta’s 27-7 drubbing of the Cowboys, but back up Tevin Coleman was more than able to pick up the slack.

Atlanta’s offense isn’t the only concern for the Seahawks, their defense isn’t something to write off either. Last week, defensive end Adrian Clayborn had himself a historic afternoon sacking Dak Prescott six times! Clayborn made quick work of a backup offensive tackle. That shouldn’t be a problem for the Seah… oh wait, we still don’t know if our starting tackle Duane Brown will play due to a sprained ankle, or if he will be a decent contributor if he plays.

To say the Seahawks are facing a real challenge is the understatement of the day. I’m not writing off the season, but tonight’s showdown will be a nice litmus test to see if we can compete with a team like Atlanta despite some major holes.

I’m not all doom and gloom, however. There are some positives that may work in the Seahawks favor.

For starters, the defensive line has come alive in recent weeks. In the last three games, Seattle has brought the opposing quarterback down 13 times. Two of those sacks have resulted in safeties as well, the first time since 1993 the Seahawks have had two back to back games with a safety. The ageless wonder Dwight Freeney is looking like his 2005 self, certainly helping take pressure off Michael Bennett and Frank Clark. The defensive line depth is also showing itself to be lethal, as every member seems to be contributing in substantive ways. Including the former 2013 #3 overall pick and Oregon Duck, Dion Jordan.

Cast off due to injuries and a suspension, Jordan played in his first NFL game since 2014. On his first play, he bolted past the Cardinals left tackle to bring down Drew Stanton. The line’s stellar play as of late has also helped to bottle up the run game, forcing offenses to throw more and allowing the defenders to pin their ears back and go after it. If Seattle’s line can keep up this hot streak, and get to Matt Ryan with pressure, the secondary will be very appreciative of the help.

Speaking of the secondary, all might not be totally lost. No, they will not be the same without Sherman, but it’s not as if they are starting five middle schoolers out there.

Rookie Shaq Griffin has been performing exceptionally well for someone who has been directly targeted all season, and Jeremy Lane is playing with a fire I haven’t seen from him in a while. The dude is playing pissed, probably to stick to the Hawks for trying to trade him. If he can keep it up, I’ll take it. Also, Earl Thomas is expected back after tweaking his hamstring. Oh, and I haven’t even brought up the homecoming of one of the OG Legion of Boomers: Byron Maxwell.

After departing in free agency following the 2014 season, Maxwell has bounced around Philadelphia and Miami, struggling on both squads. Maxwell was recently cut by Miami and was re-signed to the Seahawks early last week. Adding Maxwell back helps to soften the blow of losing Sherman, as he knows the system and played the absolute best football of his career in Seattle.

Good defensive line play and a secondary that is still decent is only half the equation. We are now officially at the point where the Seahawks can no longer be carried by the defense. The best shot at saving this season firmly rests in the hands of Russell Wilson, and the offense.

In his first few years, Wilson was definitely helped by a legendary defense and an elite run game. Right now, Wilson is absolutely carrying this team. The run game is a mess, the line is still mostly sub-par, the defense is good but not great, and the kicking is iffy at best.

Yet all he has done this season thus far is deliver like an MVP caliber player would be expected to. The heavy load upon his shoulders just increased, and it’s going to have to be this way from here on out in 2017. Those of us in the Northwest have known for years how valuable Wilson is. Now, the rest of the country is about to see first-hand what Wilson truly means for the Seahawks.