Being Raised Without Halloween Traditions Made Me Indifferent To The 'Wicked' Holiday

You don't necessarily need Halloween.

6

Growing up in a Christian home had some rules: No Halloween. No skeletons or goblins and definitely no witches. I was never invited to the Halloween parties in high school, nor was I allowed to sit in the classroom when everyone else was celebrating the holiday. I would just sit in the media center with the principal or another staff member and eat some pretzels from the vending machine until all the holiday festivities were over. There was always ONE kid every year that thought I went to the bathroom and missed the whole thing.

My family and I would stay at home and act as if nothing was happening outside. We would put up a sign saying we had no candy to give and turn off all the lights. Yet people would still knock on our door, or throw eggs at our house. I have had so many people over the years ask me why I don't celebrate it. Before, I used to say my mom does not want us to. Then it would be a giant snowball of questions.

Eventually, I stopped having the desire to celebrate it. I don't care for the costumes, or the scares, or the blood. If I am going to be totally frank, I like the day after Halloween because all the candy goes on sale at Target and Walmart and I can stock up for the rest of the year.

I watch a Halloween movie every now and then, but I am just not that into it. Why spend a whole day or weekend dressing up and being someone you're not? Just for fun? I used to be so jealous of everyone else, but now, Halloween is just a holiday that I wish would just go by quickly.

I have been asked if I would let my future children celebrate the holiday, and the answer is, I am not really sure. I mean, I won't tell them not to celebrate it and throw holy water on them. But I won't necessarily get them all dressed up nor will I dress them up as babies. They will decide for themselves when they get older.

Halloween is not a religious holiday, or should I say, anti-religious. I know that. So please don't try to convince me about that. It all just comes down to going years without the holiday. It does not mean that once I am at college I will get hammered and rage out on the holiday.

That just isn't who I am. I will make a note that any extra candy can be sent my way at least.