The Wisest Words I've Ever Heard

The Wisest Words I've Ever Heard

Here's to living in the now.
687

As someone who is very close with my parents, I go to them with anything and everything—comfortably. My parents are the most accepting, open, and understanding people I know, and I am eternally grateful for that. On my best and my worst days, the two of them always know how to pick me up regardless of circumstances.

In these two role models of mine, I see so much that I wish to one day attain. My parents make me want to be a better person; as I've gotten older I've only become more appreciative of all that they do and all that they are.

I watch them move mountains for the people they love, appreciate the good in every day, and never take a single moment for granted. Easily, I could speak for hours about their admirable character and the way it continuously impacts me as a young woman.

When it comes to my dad, words can’t do him justice. This man is the hardest working, self-made and selfless human being in my life. To become half the parent he is would be a miracle, and to grow as wise as he is would be my greatest accomplishment.

A month or so ago, I was going through a time when I needed my parents raw and true advice. My head was cloudy and the confusion I felt was obvious. After a long phone conversation with my dad, I received a text from him that spoke volumes.

In it he wrote, “If we had a crystal ball to show us our future, life would be less complicated. There’s a reason for everything even when things are hard to understand. Everything will be okay.” As I read the message my eyes filled up. It was as if everything I had ever questioned and tried to understand was settled.

Since my dad sent me this thought-provoking message, I’ve reflected in rather eye-opening ways.

It’s okay to not know—to be unsure about what you want to do in life, where you’re going, or who you are. Time and growth are two variables that coincide and work in mysterious and amazing ways. If we knew what our future held, we wouldn’t work towards our goals, nor would we take chances. Our experiences mold us and make us who we are. It’s quite easy to get caught up and want time to pass so we can be where we hope to be, but realistically, the time we should appreciate is right now.

There is something so beautiful about the unknown, and without someone as influential as my father, I don’t think I would’ve ever realized that.