Winter Survival 101

Winter Survival 101

Welcome to your winter class, it is not for a credit or a grade but you will use it in life.

57
Winter Survival 101
Unsplash

Welcome to Winter Survival 101 -- where you will learn how to survive the long winter months where ever you are in the world. This is a gift from me to you for safe keeping for years to come, you can thank me later. I have come prepared to deliver everything you may need to survive the winter months. I think this is so important that someone is here to give you guidance on how to take care of yourself. We don't need you walking into class or work with half of a hand because you don't have those glider touchscreen gloves. It's fine if you want to be selfish and sacrifice your whole hand to frostbite because you needed to respond "Okay" to you BFF, but that's none of my business.

But honestly, what do I know? I live in Phoenix Arizona where we have Summer and Autumn temperatures, but here goes nothing.

Here's what you'll need to survive winter . . . according to an Arizonan.

1. Hot tea or cocoa

This is really just to heat up your hands when they are on the verge of falling off. It's also just something to keep you busy because you keep setting down the cup and your drink ends up getting ice cold. It's a never ending job to keep your tea or cocoa hot in the winter but its nice for your hands.

2. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, HBOgo, & Vudu Subscriptions

Because you will spend the next few months never ever leaving your bed/couch/house to go anywhere. So it's essential to really adopt all of these streaming services. It will be worth it because you'll be able to spend your days crying at all the Romantic Christmas movies. Bring it on!

3. Boxes of tissues

It's cold and flu season and you never know when you'll need a few tissues. Or they come in handy while you're watching those romantic movies all winter long. Or when you need to use them for an extra layering of warmth.

4. Fuzzy blankets

Even if you have 7 blankets and 12 sheets on your bed already, it doesn't matter because it's not enough. Buy 3 more of those fuzzy blankets you can get at Walmart for way cheap. Wrap your self in a blanket burrito until you can't breathe. At least then you won't notice how cold it is.

5. Fuzzy socks

Next to those fuzzy blankets you have in your check out basket, you'll need to add a few fuzzy socks. You honestly can never have too many of these bad boys because you can use them all year round. But also, even if they are Fuzzy, you end up wearing about 3 at a time because we don't need to lose any of those pretty toes; it'd look awkward to lose a toe to frostbite when you go and get a pedicure for summer.

6. Scarves

We don't need scarves here in Phoenix but let's face it, they are cute and keeps us warm during our 45-degree mornings. I think it's important that we are still cute and warm during this winter. If you make it out this season, I guess you will need a few.

7. Chapstick

Chapstick... Because the cold dries everything and your lips will thank me later. I mean what's better than peppermint chapstick to go with your hot cocoa. Hello!

8. A warm fire

A warm fire, of course, should be on this list because it's pretty to look at and it, of course, keeps you warm. At this point, if you're not sweating thinking about everything you need to be wrapped in this Winter, you're not trying hard enough. But if you don't have a fireplace, a fake Yule Log picture will do just fine.

9. Boyfriend, Girlfriend, or Dog.

This may be your only source of interaction in the long winter months because face it, you probably won't go outside. Having someone or a pet to snuggle when it's cold is nice. So if you don't have one already, maybe before it's too cold, go out and find one or go down to the local shelter and adopt one... a dog I mean.

10. Mad Instagram skills

While all of your friends are in the hospital due to frostbite, you'll have the best Instagram page all winter long. Hot tea/cocoa, Netflix, fuzzy socks, in your burrito blanket, and your fire in the background. I mean, I'd double tap that!