12 Winter Skincare Tips That Will Erase All Your Cold Weather Worries

Treat yo' self.

220
@dove

We all love the coziness of wintertime, but it definitely takes a toll on our skin. Whether you're a seasoned skincare expert or a regimen newbie, keep these 12 things in mind when the blustery days result in chapped lips and flaky skin.

1. Warm showers are key

Hot showers tend to strip the skin of all its moisture, leaving you drier than what you started with. Lukewarm water is your best bet for cleansing without drying.

2. Buy a silk pillowcase

Silk pillowcases don't absorb moisture like cotton. These soft sheets lock the moisture into your skin while also leaving your hair frizz- and tangle-free.

3. Moisturize at least twice a day

The cardinal rule for moistruizing is at least once in the morning, once at night and whenever is needed. Your skin can only produce so much hydration itself so help it along with a thick and potent cream.

4. Changing your routine is to be expected

Winter skin is different than summer skin, so why should each of their routines be the same? The cold air of the winter begs us for thicker, richer moisturizers, creamy cleansers, and more hydrating masks and serums. Don't be afraid to experiment with what works best for you and your skin type.

5. Buy a humidifier

The more moisture in the air leads to more moisture in the skin. Many humidifiers come as a dual humidifier and essential oil diffuser. I have this one in my dorm and it's honestly one of the best gifts I've recived. Not only does my room smell inviting, but I notice a difference in my skin as well.

6. Ease up on the exfoliation

The more you use scrubs, peels, and other chemicals on the skin, the more moisture you're sucking out of the skin. The colder weather already makes the skin sensitive, so now is the time to ease up and give your skin a break.

7. Hydrate your body

Drink water! It's the easiest thing you can do to improve your skin. a hydrated body gives way to glowy skin, clear skin, and healthy skin. A trick I heard is to take your body weight in kilos, divide by two, and that's how many ounces you're supposed to drink. Regardless, 64 ounces of water is common goal many people have.

8. Invest in an eye cream

If you're not using one already, an eye cream is a great investment to your skincare regime. The skin around our eyes are thinner and more delicate than the rest of the skin on our face, so it needs to have a product devoted to soleley itself. I use this one and it has hyaluronic acid and aloe which protect and hydrate the skin.

9. Adding oil isn't always a bad idea

Depending on your skin type, adding oil to your regimen can improve and lock-in needed hydration. People that tend to have oily or combination skin will need to consult with a skincare professional to see if certain oils will work for them.

10. Hyaluronic acid is your BFF

This mightly serum can hold over 1000 times its weight in water, proving to be one of the most powerful hydrating products on the market. IT plumps the skin full of moisture, creating a glowing and youthful appearance. Many drugstores carry products with hyaluronic acid in it, but I purchased the serum version from Deciem for a fairly good price. They prove that good skin care doesn't have to break the budget!

11. Protect yourself with scarves, hats, and gloves

We all know this but we can't help but forget sometimes. Keep your chilly accessories in the back of your mind so that your hands or lips don't have to suffer through the blustery cold.

12. Carry essentials with you at all times

Mini or travel-sized versions of your favorite products are a must-have in your bag at all times. Chapstick, hand lotion — even vaseline — should have a premium spot in your carry-all 24/7.

13. Slather on sunscreen

Believe it or not, the snow reflects major amounts of sunlight so we must protect our skin from the flashback of those UVA/UVB rays. Sunscreen protects you from the elements (thanks, wind!) and the harmful rays that penetrate our skin when we don't even notice. A pro-tip is to use a moisturizer with SPF already in it (like mine). It's been told that the secret to looking young is wearing sunscreen every day!

14. Take supplements

Supplements like keratin, biotin, and collagen help boost the skin, hair, and nails from the inside out so you're better protected to face the elements. You can pick them up individually or through a Women's Daily or a beauty vitamin.

15. Take some me time

Last but not least, you gotta love yourself for skincare to actually work. Poor diet, lack of exercise, and overall bad habits all lead to the premature deterioration of the skin. And no one wants to look bad, right? So take the time to indulge in a little self-care face mask session or going to get your nails done because it's all worth it in the end.