My parents and I planned a trip to Israel for winter break to visit my twin brother studying there for a year. Many of my friends from high school are studying there on gap years as well, so I was looking forward to seeing them too (my brother taking priority of course).

When I got to Israel I was shocked by the amount of Jewish college students there for winter break. Whether on having the time of their lives on birthright or squatting at a seminary, everyone seemed to make the pilgrimage to Israel for a few weeks during their winter break.

If you manage to push your way into Machane Yehuda market, also known as “the shuk” on thursday night, you’ll see more people than you want to. If you're like me you’ll see a teacher from high school, a friend from summer camp, and multiple Cornell students. It’s like one big reunion of everyone you’ve ever known in your entire life!

The trip to israel during winter break can be overwhelming, but at the end of the day there is only one place that can bring together this many people--Israel. And it’s got nothing to do with the drinking age.