My New Year's Resolutions

My New Year's Resolutions

Disagree, see more concerts, and wink

4
My New Year's Resolutions
Katherine Nelson

Let's be real, I'm not going to lose ten pounds or get into the habit of going to the gym. I've got a bad knee/wrist/workout mentality I love food way too much to diet. Going the conventional route for New Year's resolutions is out of the picture. This time I'm thinking out of the box, I'm getting creative.

I came up with three resolutions for 2017:

1. Disagree.

I love discussions. Well, I love academic discussions in classroom settings where we have a theoretical or semi-realistic topic we're looking at under a microscope, protected from the outside world by four thick walls and a whiteboard. I love late night rants and dinner table chats with my friends where we all get deep and personal with each other.

I don't like debates. I don't like arguments. I don't like yelling or screaming or uncomfortable silences in between "I just think that"s or fruitlessly trying to convince someone but they're not seeing your logic. I love seeing my friends get hyped up about something they're passionate about, but I don't like my own carefully crafted arguments being hit with such passion and force, simply because I just don't think that way. My reasoning is a sound structure that looks good and functions well but won't stand up to someone who argues with purpose and passion. I step out of the way if I disagree and ride the waves of their passion if I do agree.

I want to disagree, to say no, to speak with surety, logic, and confidence and defend myself because I think I'm right, and back myself up with my own reasoning. I want to stand up for myself and say no when I'm uncomfortable, to vocalize my dissent or call people out instead of sitting and nodding along. I want to exercise my "no"s and fortify my arguing skills so I don't have to feel frustrated with myself when I don't speak up.

2. Get lots of press passes to see concerts.

Odyssey has been so good to me and good for me. I get to write creatively again, which is something that I haven't done for a long time. But now I'm not writing for money or scholarships or competitions or playwriting workshops or the people who will never read my novel. I'm writing for me. And getting to be an Editor in Chief of this chapter has been astounding. I've gotten to meet some great people, pitch some ideas, work hard, and throw myself into something that I love.

I get to do a lot of cool things, and something I've discovered is the magic of press passes. If you phrase an email just so and time it just right, you can get free tickets to a concert in exchange for writing an article. You get the thrill of live music and the exclusivity of a pass, coupled with the satisfaction of writing for someone, giving that band or that musician the gift of your words and praise.

I want to get more press passes. I want to reach out to perfect strangers (or have them reach out to me) and take a leap of faith with my writing. I want to put myself out there and take chances to do great things. I want to lose myself in the bass lines pounding through my chest and relive that excitement as I write about the experience. I want the whole package.

3. Wink at people.

Not perfect strangers. That's weird. But my friends whose eyes I catch from across the room. There is many-a-picture on many-a-phone of me in bad lighting, making a face as I talk. I've got an expressive look about me, and it makes people smile. Instead of making faces and hoping they will notice, I want to wait until I catch someone's eye, then--with a blank expression--just wink. I can wink with my right eye or my left. From across a room or on the opposite seat on the train. It just makes people laugh and that makes me happy.

I've found a new way to make people smile, and this resolution is to use it.

Will losing ten pounds make you happy? Maybe it will, and if it does, good for you. I'd be thrilled if I lost ten pounds, but it's too cold to start running and I've still got half a chocolate orange in the fridge with my name on it. Instead I'm choosing three things to really work on this year with all my energy, efforts, and heart.

They seem easy. Say no, go to concerts, and wink. But if all goes well, a step in the right direction means a step towards respecting myself, gaining more confidence, and showing my loved ones that I care for them. Those are some pretty big goals, I think. But I'll get there.

I'll take it one year at a time.