I Will Love Others No Matter The Consequences
Politics

All people are worthy of love.

14
Flickr

Before you read any further, I'm going to warn you that I'll be discussing some politics and maybe some certain politicians. If that's not your cup of tea, I won't be offended if you choose not to read this.

Let's begin by defining what love is. Love is when you care for someone and want the best for them. Love is also described in 1 Corinthians 13, the "love is kind, love is slow to anger, love is gentle" passage. Love values the welfare of others above self, to the point of laying your life down.

Beyond "simple" love, there is also the love of country.

There is nothing wrong with loving your country, and being proud to be American, Indian, or even Moldavan. Nor is there anything wrong with saluting military members and pledging allegiance to the Stars and Stripes.

I nerd out over fireworks and American history, while deeply appreciating our brothers and sisters in the military, but I do not idolize the United States. I hope I never do.

I do not think America is great nor does it need to be "made great again." Don't get me wrong, the USA is not all bad, but it's also not perfect. The only truly perfect place is going to be heaven, and I won't even get there until I die!

Circling back to the definition of love, I can tell you what love is not: love is not racism; love is not xenophobia; love is not warfare; love is not insulting those we disagree with.

The rhetoric behind making our nation great again gives me much concern and unease. I cannot comprehend how singling out other humans because of their race makes our nation great. I cannot understand why deporting an entire religion of people is going to make our nation great. I do not even pretend to understand how condoning violence makes our nation great. And yet, the suggestions and promises keep coming.

I will come right out and say it: I cannot, in good conscience, in good confidence, and in my identity in Christ, support the current Republican presidential nominee.

I cannot condone the hatred of those who are different from us. I will not tolerate racism or "white power." I am not afraid to call others, and myself, out for those behaviors, but I cannot stand alone against those who practice those behaviors.

I will not stand by and watch fellow brothers and sisters experience persecution, violence and marginalization just because they aren't white, or just because they aren't Christian.

If anything, it should be the Christians who care the most about protecting the vulnerable, the abused and marginalized. We should be trying our hardest to bring about equality, freedom and opportunities for every person in our nation. We ought to love one another in this way, and ought to care for other peoples' welfare because God cares about everyone's welfare.

I can absolutely love and care for someone who doesn't share the same beliefs as I do. I don't have to be afraid. I don't have to section them off just in case they contaminate me. I don't have to shout insults and belittle their physical traits.

It is wrong to even suggest violence against others because of their race, religion or anything different about them. Our first instinct needs to be gentleness, kindness and a spirit of cooperation. I acknowledge the views of Trump supporters, but I do not agree with them; I will not react harshly or violently no matter what the results are in November.

I urge you, no matter what you believe, no matter what party you belong to, consider how you treat those who are different from you. In the coming days, we must stand up for justice, peace and love for all people. We must love mercy, do justice and walk humbly with the Lord. We must love our fellow image-bearers.

I will not silence my views on this matter; I am always going to push for love, equality and justice no matter where I go, because of my beliefs. I sincerely hope that our nation remains stable and that there is an increase of people who care for all American citizens, not just some of them. I am hopeful that there is good in the world and that there will always be good in the world, even in the dark spots of history and times to come. Whatever the election results are, I am going to love others, no matter what the consequences.