Will Kissing Booth 2 Be a Wake-up Call to Reality?

These days, sequels are becoming more and more realistic...

19

I was casually browsing through Youtube and I stumbled upon a trailer for the upcoming sequel to the Netflix movie Kissing Booth. I had so many thoughts going in my head at once like a tornado when I read that it was the trailer for the sequel. I had so many curiosities and thoughts about what the sequel might look like, since I have felt that the movie ended on a very cliffhanger-like note. However, the seemingly realistic tones of the trailer answered some of the questions I had and made me feel like, "wow, they are bringing real life into the picture now." For example, the ending of the first movie made me wonder, "Well, exactly how did the two spend the summer together?" As someone who shipped the couple of the movie, Noah and Elle, I couldn't help but be a bit saddened by the fact that the first movie didn't go further into actually showing scenes of them spending their summer together. But after watching the trailer, I kind of got a sense of how some of the puzzle pieces were put together.

A brief character breakdown is below, in case it's been a while since you have watched Kissing Booth or if you just have never seen the movie before:

Elle (Aka Shelly), played by Joey King

Elle is your typical, down to earth high school girl who is pretty quirky and funny. She is best friends with Noah's brother, Lee and takes part in a kissing booth and accidentally kisses his brother, Noah instead. She eventually falls in love with Noah and tries to keep it a secret from Lee. But, things go haywire when Lee finds out and this is when Elle comes clean and tells Lee that if he cannot accept her and Noah's relationship, he should not be a part of her life.

Lee, played by Joel Courtney

Lee is Elle's best friend and Noah's brother. He is a loyal friend to Elle and is always there for her. He has known Elle since they were young so their friendship is something quite memorable and almost like a treasure box. But, things do get rocky once he finds out that Elle and Noah have been seeing each other, behind his back.

Noah, played by Jacob Elordi

Noah is Elle's best friend and Lee's brother, who has a crush on Elle. He tries to protect Elle and always happens to show up when she is in danger, such as being harassed by someone, as shown when she was harassed by Warren at a beach party and he came and slammed Warren. He is known for having many sexual conquests but in the end, he realizes he only has eyes for Elle.

Now fast forwarding to Kissing Booth 2, what I really like about it is that it seems to bring real life into the picture. In the trailer, it shows how Elle begins to get interested in another classmate while trying to maintain a long distance relationship with Noah. At the same time, some misunderstandings start to sharpen when Elle mistakes Noah for going out and seeing another girl. These events predict how trust and vulnerability will play a large factor in the next sequel. When I saw the trailer, I felt like I was seeing a bunch of snap stories, featuring the romance life of two high schoolers. Not that I was against it or anything, I actually found it to be really practical.

Especially since this is not the first time movies are becoming like this, given how To All The Boys I Loved Before 2 also had a similar stream of events, where Lara Jean started falling for another person, amidst her new relationship with Peter Kavinsky. Something about love triangles really seems to bring in the real-lifeness to a movie. I think it is creative that the producers of these movies are doing this, because it helps viewers relate more to what really happens in real life relationships. So maybe some of the fairy dust and happily ever after could take it's lunch break.

So, who is going to watch Kissing Booth 2?