Why Zeke Smith Matters

Why Zeke Smith Matters

His name might not sound familiar, but you'll soon know who he is

21
Why Zeke Smith Matters
BreitBart

I haven't been into "Survivor" as much as I used to be, until I met my boyfriend, who kind of got me back into watching it. For those of you who aren't familiar with "Survivor", it's a reality show that has its contestants stranded on an island for up to 39 days with no food, water, or shelter, as they compete in challenges. Eventually, everyone gets voted out until there is one sole survivor who wins a million dollars. If you haven't seen the show, you've at least probably heard of its crazy standout contestants (fun fact: one of them lived in my hometown in Kentucky) or its charismatic host, Jeff Probst.

I got attached to last season's Zeke Smith, who was most known for being extremely strategic, kind, and always sporting a Hawaiian shirt. Luckily, he was brought back for Season 34, a season known as "Game Changers", where some of the most known "Survivor" players were also asked back. Some of the notable returns included Tony Vlachos, Sandra Diaz-Twine, Cirie Fields, and Troy 'Troyzan' Robertson. Anyway, there are new "Survivor" players intermixed with the more seasoned players, and it's proved to be an interesting season. If you haven't heard of Zeke or even the game for that matter, you probably have been a little more invested in it this week.

Wednesday night's episode had Zeke's tribe at tribal council, which is where players vote on who needs to be booted from their tribe. As a last ditch effort, tribe mate Jeff Varner knew he was about to be voted off of the tribe, so he began targeting Zeke. What started as a normal target quickly by calling out deception, turned ugly.

"Why haven't you told anyone that you're transgender?" Varner asks.

Immediately, the reaction from everyone on the tribe is to point fingers at Varner for outing him. Some are in tears, others verbally attacking him. Zeke, on the other hand, sports wide eyes, but says nothing. After some debate between the tribe members and Varner realizing what he had done, Jeff Probst breaks in and asks Varner if he had realized that he had revealed this news to millions of viewers and not just six people sitting in at tribal council.

The important thing to note here is that Zeke stays strong throughout this whole exchange. He does not cry, he does not run, he does not deny. He explains his side of things with such poise and class that he is admirable. In articles following the episode, Zeke explains that he didn't see his gender identity as important in playing the game. He could do so many amazing things that made him a viable candidate for the game, why should his identity matter? He didn't want to be known as "the trans "Survivor" player", and shouldn't be known as that. He can make fire from two bamboo sticks, and knows his way around the puzzles in the challenges like no one else. This should not be his legacy. Zeke should be forever known as one of the greats, just like anyone else in any all-star season of "Survivor."

Why does all of this matter? Varner should not have outed Zeke on national television. No one should ever out anyone, even if they claim to believe that everyone in their circle knew (actual thing that Jeff Varner said). It doesn't matter if everyone knows or not, that person has the right to come out when they feel like it, and if they don't feel like coming out to anyone, who cares? It is their right and theirs alone, especially thinking of the world we live in now. The most important thing to note is that it was grotesque the way he was outed, but Zeke is still Zeke, and nothing will change that. Will he have to fight from now on? Who knows, but the thing is, he is strong. He has so much support behind him, and after this, can truly get through anything.

Be kind to one another and kindness will come back to you.

To watch the emotional tribal council, click here.

To read Zeke's statement following the episode, click here.