Why Your Busy Schedule Keeps You Healthy

Working out isn't the only way to stay healthy.

31
Women Who Changed America

Who says working out is a must-do if you’re on your feet more than 50 percent of the time each day? As someone who leaves the house for work at 6:30 a.m. and usually returns after 8 p.m., I nonetheless try to be aware of whether or not I am living a healthy lifestyle.

I believe that as long as you are conscious of your health, being busy is a very good thing.

I’ve made a list of five reasons why being busy keeps us healthy.

1. Too much sleep is not healthy.

Every morning before I leave for work, the first thing I think about is how excited I am to take a nap later – which I never actually do. The thing is, I usually get around 7 hours of sleep, which falls right within the healthy range. The long-term effects of getting enough but not too much sleep are very positive, and include the prevention of diabetes and obesity.

I encourage you to make time for sleep if your days are super busy and long. Thanks to my strict sleep schedule, I am generally very energized and feel A-OK all the way throughout my busy day of work, school, homework, and extracurricular activities.

2. Moving around is better than being a couch potato!

I think it’s pretty obvious that lying around all day (unless you’re feeling sick,) is not exactly good for your health.

Actually, a lot of research exists surrounding the idea that long periods of sitting can be harmful to your health. Our bodies function best when in the upright position, so extensive sitting puts you at a higher risk of osteoporosis, cardiovascular and kidney disease.

3. The busier you are, the less junk food you’ll eat (If you plan properly).

By adjusting to your busy schedule, you can prepare healthy, balanced meals in advance and avoid unnecessary snacking.

At first, I struggled to adjust to my busy schedule and found myself forgetting to eat or eating fast food late at night on my way home from school or work. I have since changed my strategy and now prepare meals the night before. I ensure that I am getting a fair share of fruits, vegetables, and proteins.

No, I don’t count calories. You really shouldn’t have to. Especially if you are preparing meals after you’ve already eaten for the day, you are less likely to be influenced by your hungry tummy and pack meals that are too large. In fact, you may also be more likely to pack healthier snacks instead, which is definitely a good thing!

4. Being busy gives us much-needed purpose in our lives.

Perhaps you are busy because you have multiple jobs, because you go to school, are a caretaker, or because you are just actively involved in your community. Whatever the reason, by being a busy person, you are exposing yourself to people, new experiences, and encouraging yourself to grow as a person every single day.

So much of who you are is a product of what you do on a daily basis. Think about it. We tend to describe ourselves in terms of what we do: I am a student, a gymnastics teacher, and an aspiring writer. See what I mean?

In my opinion, people who do not put themselves out there, and instead choose to do less than do more, are at a disadvantage. Being busy gives us much needed purpose in our lives. As long as you’re not burning yourself out and are happy at the end of each busy day, you are making a positive contribution to your long-term health.

5. Being busy exercises your mind.

Earlier, I mentioned some of the things that might be the reason for your busy schedule. Each of those things are, in some shape or form, exercising your mind. If you’re working, you are likely problem solving and learning new skills every single day. Whether you’re learning about a new company platform, learning short cuts on Excel, or simply finding more effective ways of interacting with people, you are affecting your mental and neural health for the better. The same idea applies to any other role you fulfill throughout the day that keeps you busy!

---------------

I do want to say, however, that being busy can also have very negative effects on your health if not done properly. There absolutely is a such thing as ‘burnout,’ and it can have a very negative effect on your health. As someone with Cystic Fibrosis, there have been many occasions in which my stress has lead to exacerbations.

In order to really capitalize on your busy schedule, I suggest that you also make sure to have weekly personal time, manage your stress in whatever way works best for you, and be sure to continue participating in social activities and spending time with people you love.