Why You Shouldn't Stop Drinking Milk

Why You Shouldn't Stop Drinking Milk

A milk enthusiasts response to the viral anti-dairy piece.

491
Why You Shouldn't Stop Drinking Milk
pbs.com

Here is my reply to, "Why You Should Stop Drinking Milk."

Yes, we get our milk from a cow. That's the purpose of dairy cattle. They are literally here to produce milk. If we don't milk them they feel discomfort, and could possibly develop mastitis. So in reality, we're actually helping the cows by taking their milk.

You’re drinking pus?

Producers use iodine for teats in order to prevent bacteria and infections in the teat. They do this for every cow before obtaining their milk. Cows can develop mastitis. It's an inflammatory reaction of the udder tissue. If mastitis is found, the cow's milk is not used until the cow has been treated, and a specific time has passed after treatment. Producers take precautions, because they not only care about their industry as well as the cows, they care about their consumers.

Of course pasteurizing may not “sweep it clean.” Pasteurizing came from a scientist, Louis Pasteur, by applying heat to destroy pathogens. It’s a procedure that is suppose to lessen the chance of a bacteria getting to the milk.

No one can promise a process to be 100% effective. We’d be lying if we did. I’m sure you use disinfecting wipes. They say 99.99% effective to prevent aspects such as a cold, or the flu. They don’t say 100% because even though you use these products, you have more than likely gotten a cold or the flu. I don’t see anyone saying you shouldn’t use disinfecting wipes after you get a cold.

Cow milk isn’t meant for humans?

Milk is just “unnecessary fat, cholesterol, and calories?” You must’ve forgot it also has calcium, some protein, vitamin A and D, as well as some iron.

How do we define what is “meant for humans?” You eat plants? Scientifically speaking they can be considered living. They are composed of cells, require energy and nutrients, grow, respond to the environment, adapt to their environment, and finally they reproduce. So why is eating plants a better way of life than eating animal by products?

Vegetables come from the soil, also known as dirt. How can you promise that those products are completely clean and sanitary?

I am sure you eat chocolate… what are the health benefits to that? Or McDonalds? I could go on forever of the foods that are probably not “meant for humans.” Yet we still consume them.

The health benefits are misleading?

The research you tagged is actually misleading.

Stating that milk raises mortality rate and leads to fractures is an extreme statement that would be difficult to prove. The article even states, “additional nuances may not have been adequately captured by our observational study.” They aren’t kidding. Those people who died or had fractures… what about their diet? Daily activities? So many other factors rather than just drinking milk to consider.

Another statement, “theoretically, the findings on fractures might be explained by a reverse causation phenomenon, where people with higher predisposition for osteoporosis may have deliberately increased their intake.” So no matter if they drank milk or not, they may have already had osteoporosis, therefore their fractures may have nothing to do with their consumption of milk.

It's a nightmare for the cows?

It's more of a nightmare if they don't get milked. They feel discomfort.

The correct term is artificial insemination. The reason for this process is efficiency and being able to control the genetics of each cow. Our population is forever growing, and using this process allows for producers to get higher milk quality from cows.

Weaning. Yes, they take the calf away from the mother. Most animals get taken away from their mothers. Puppies? Cats? You're taking that animal away from the mother... what's the difference for cows?

The producers give the calves the colostrum they need. Colostrum is the first secretion from the mammary glands after giving birth, rich in antibodies. Colostrum build their immune system.

Our own opinions are important, but before making assumptions about one product, be sure there are facts to back up your accusation.