Why You Shouldn't Be So Afraid Of Change

Change. It’s a word that stimulates fear and anxiety in the hearts of many. As humans, we like to think we have complete control over our lives and how it plays out. We make plans and have expectations about our lives and the paths we’ll take. Change tends to shatter those ideals and expectations of life -- it’s not predictable, which is why it can be so scary and so anxiety inducing.

I like change. I’m a huge fan of spontaneity, of new opportunities, challenges and people. What I’m not a huge fan of is routine, sameness and predictability. I know that separates me from the majority of people and their feelings about change and perhaps life in general, but hear me out.

The thing about change is that it’s constant. The world is constantly changing. We are constantly changing. It’s inescapable. It’s a fact of life, which is why it’s best for ourselves to embrace it and lessen the fear we tend to have towards change. Not every change will be a positive one, and that’s also a fact. Change isn’t easy, a lot of the times it’s uncomfortable and difficult, but the more you resist change and the challenges that come along with it, the more dissatisfied you’ll be with the life you’re living. The more you resist against change, the more you box yourself into the same little world you’ve lived in your whole life. Open your mind to the new opportunities, people and other aspects of life that change can bring.

Without change and the challenges that come along with it, we would not be the people we are today. I look back on the person I was a few years ago and hardly recognize that little girl. And why is that? Because I’ve changed. The school I went to changed. The people I hang out with changed. My hair color changed. My style changed. My dreams and goals changed. I’m glad I’m not the person I was a few years ago -- I’d be a little concerned if I was the same. My point is: change stimulates growth. As life goes on we grow, and I don’t think we’d grow as people nearly as much without change.

I do like change, but that doesn’t mean I’m not a little bit afraid of it either. It’s normal to have a fear of the unknown, and it’s okay to be afraid of change, but do not let this fear paralyze you and make you closed off to the idea of change and the positive things that can come from it. It’s important to let go of the old in order to welcome the new. A quote from C.S. Lewis says, “Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes, but one day you look back, everything is different?” One day you’ll look back on the times of change when you were scared and uncertain and say “I did it.” So do not be afraid -- no matter what change you are going through or may go through -- you’ll get through it.

You will change. The life you live right now will change. Change can happen slowly over time, or in the span of a few seconds. It’s tricky like that. When change interrupts your routine, try not to run in the other direction. Try not to plaster your feet to the ground and refuse to move forward.