Why You Should Watch "My Mad Fat Diary"

Why You Should Watch "My Mad Fat Diary"

A show our generation should tune into.

190
Why You Should Watch "My Mad Fat Diary"
Flickr

There are only a handful of shows that have risen to popularity throughout the 2010's that I chose to follow. Most of the television shows that I stream on Netflix or YouTube usually shows that were popular during the 90's and the early 2000's. Yes, I was a member of the "Breaking Bad" frenzy and I am still very obsessed with "Stranger Things." But, in total, there really aren't a lot of shows that have come out in recent years that have captivated me and transformed me into a faithful follower. That was until I discovered the British television show "My Mad Fat Diary."

"My Mad Fat Diary" tells the story of Rae Earl, an overweight British teen who is trying to adapt a normal lifestyle after recovering from a suicide attempt. Throughout the show, Rae struggles with her weight, self-esteem, and intrusive thoughts. Rae is clever and witty but naive about the world. Throughout the show's three seasons, Rae learns how to self-soothe and how to love herself. The show will have you laughing in one scene, cringing from second-hand embarrassment in the next and then crying in the following one. The show is funny, raw and honest about the everyday struggles of an individual who suffers from anxiety and depression.

What I really loved about 'MMFD" is that it paints an accurate picture of the reality of mental health. In recent years, shows like "Skins" and "Thirteen Reasons Why" cover topics like MMFD, but they tend to romanticize issues like suicide and depression. In a lot of television shows, characters who suffer from mental illness are depicted as dark, mysterious characters. They tend to describe mental illness as a cool, goth fashion accessory used to make a person appear unique and desirable.

As a person who suffers from an anxiety condition, I find this type of character description harmful and false. These shows do not cover the reality of mental health and how it can affect one's social life and self-image. In "MMFD", Rae experiences panic attacks, fits of anger and scenes of her in therapy sessions. But not only does it show the harder side of mental health, it gives a positive message to the viewer: you CAN and WILL get through it. Rae stumbles and makes all different types of mistakes throughout the show, but by the show's finale, she takes on a completely different perspective on life. She goes from an insecure teenage girl to a young woman ready to take on the world. That is the message we need to send out to the mental health community. Instead of romanticizing suicide and depression, we need to show those who are suffering that help is available and they are not alone in their struggles.

I finished the show in a matter of five days and I was honestly so distraught when I reached the end. It is shows like 'MMFD" that inspire me to do what I want to do in life. I want to create something that will inspire others to push through and fight. The show mixes in the reality of depression with humor, valuable life lessons, amazing characters and a kick-ass soundtrack (an Oasis song plays in literally every episode). All episodes and seasons can be found on YouTube. I highly recommend this show if you are finding yourself going through a rough patch. It made me feel empowered about myself and my journey to finding self-peace.

“You can spend the rest of your life being afraid of people rejecting you. You have to start by not rejecting yourself. You don’t deserve it." -Rae Earl