Shopping ethically can mean many different things. It means paying attention to where you buy your products, and how it was made. This is really hard to do sometimes because brands that produce ethically made goods are often more expensive.
But there are many important reasons why we should all make an effort to buy from brands that put quality before a cheap price tag.
The environment is facing many issues today, and many of its issues could be fractionated if consumers considered the effects that products had. For example, red meat production is a huge contributor to greenhouse gas emissions.
Choosing to buy a meat substitute or even choosing grass-fed beef could do a lot to lower those emissions. The conditions of animals should also be taken into consideration when purchasing meat.
Often, animals are overfed, bred to eat, and spend their lives in a tiny cage without sunlight or any kind of freedom.
There are also brands that get away with treating their employees unfairly as well. They force them to work in terrible conditions, pay them an unlivable wage, and even put their employees in serious danger.
According to Kristen Schlutz from End Slavery now, "On April 24, 2013, the Rana Plaza building collapsed claiming the lives of 1,134 garment and factory workers in Dhaka, Bangladesh. It is considered the deadliest garment factory accident in history." She continues to add, "big brands like Walmart and JC Penny had contractors there."This accident could have been prevented, but management chose to endanger thousands just to ensure products stay at a low price.
There are many options when it comes to shopping ethically, and while the choice to be ethical may be a bit more expensive or take more time, it would do wonders in the long run. If you wouldn't support it on paper, then why support a company that goes against your moral code? The price of a cheap tag isn't worth it.
- The Fast-Fashion Crisis ›
- Why You Should Stop Buying From Kraft Foods ›
- 5 Ethical and Sustainable Clothing Brands ›
- An Urge To Shop Smarter And 'Vote With Your Wallet' ›
- Let's Get Ethical ›
- ethical clothing brands ›
- 6 Ethical Clothing Brands To Consider When Shopping For The Fall ›
- How To Be An Ethical Shopper ›
- What is Ethical Fashion? ›
- How to be a Careful Consumer this Christmas ›
- How to Shop Ethically: 10 Tips for Reducing Your Fashion Footprint ... ›
- How to shop ethically | The Art of Simple ›
- Why We Should Shop Second Hand — THE GOOD WEAR ›
- 6 Insights For Ethical Shopping ›
- 5 easy reasons to shop ethically | pebble magazine ›
- What Does It Actually Mean to Shop Ethically? - Racked ›
- Why Shop Ethically | CRS Ethical Trade ›
- A Beginner's Guide to Ethical Shopping - Racked ›
- Why shop ethically? | Ethical Consumer ›
- Why Shop Ethically? | Shop Ethical! ›