Why You Should Read 'Romeo and/or Juliet' by Ryan North

For lovers and haters of "Romeo and Juliet" alike.
225

I've never been a big fan of works by Shakespeare, especially "Romeo and Juliet", but I have been a fan of choose-your-own-adventure type stories. That's the main reason I gave "Romeo and/or Juliet" by Ryan North a chance. I was interested in the idea of taking a classic and turning it on its head. I highly recommend giving this book a chance, even if you didn't like the original play.

One of the biggest differences in this book and the source material (other than all of the different endings you can get) is the humor. The writing style is updated to be more readable for this day and age, and the humor has been updated too. "Romeo and/or Juliet" doesn't take itself too seriously, despite being based off a literary classic. I found myself having a lot of fun reading it!

That being said, this book can be a very quick read if you want it to be. Some of the endings don't take more than a page or two to get to. I brought this book with me on a trip when I didn't have much time to read, and I finished it at least three times with different endings. It's very re-readable, as you get to pick if you want to read from the perspective of Romeo or Juliet, so starting over is a fun chance for another ending!

Along with many different endings, the book has lots of fun and charming illustrations intertwined within the plots. I can only imagine how much work went into putting this book together with how many different artists put their work into it! The illustrations only add to this unique story.

In the end, you get to chose how the story ends. You can either follow the path that Shakespeare had the play go, or you can go completely wild with your choices. It's more interactive for me as a reader, and it really gets me into the headspace of the story. If you're looking for some light, humorus reading, I highly recommend this book.