Until you actually go on a service trip, you will never quite understand the impact it can leave on you. Going on a service trip will change your life for the better, and you will have an experience you won't forget. You all see the pictures and statuses posted on Facebook about someone going on a service trip. They will all say how much they loved giving back and what a great experience it was for them. Going on a service trip is something everyone should do once in there lifetime. Why not step out of your comfort zone and try something new? You will get to see a new part of the world and will be able to pay it forward. You'll never know just how much you'll enjoy it until you try it.

5. Opportunity

Whether you need volunteer hours, a resume builder or a vacation, going on a service trip is full of opportunities to become a better person and learn some new things. I mean, why not? You have nothing to lose, and what’s better than going on a little vacation and being able to pay it forward. This is the perfect way to get involved and see a new part of the world. You don’t need to travel out of the country to even go on a volunteer trip, there are plenty in your state, and you should check out your local organizations to see what you could do. I’m sure some of your friends have been on service trips and you have heard the fun stories and pictures about their time. Opportunity to give back to the community is always out there and waiting, so what’s holding you back?

4. New friends

Whether you decide to take your service trip without knowing anyone or sign up with a friend, you will be in a group with people with various experiences and personalities. Talk to the people you're with and get to know them. You never know what you could learn from working with the person next you. Don’t be afraid to reach outside your comfort zone and get to know someone. Every person is filled with various experiences and has network connections that could potentially help you get more involved on campus or in the community. This is a great chance to learn something new and gain some more friends.

3. New perspective

Some of us have been blessed with a very fortunate and healthy life, but not everyone has the same lifestyle and blessings that you do. Going on a service trip will help you see you see how lucky you are. Being able to go to a new environment, hear these stories and see the world around you is a way to keep yourself humble. This trip might also help you connect with people who are going through the same experience as you. Either way, you will be able to see the impact you are leaving behind and how much your volunteer work means to someone. This may even inspire you to become more involved in volunteering or raise money for a various organization. Being able to see the world in a new light is not something that will happen very often, so you should always jump at the chances that are offered for you to see new things, whether it is good or bad.

2. Giving back

Whether it is giving someone a small compliment or helping them with a task, hearing the words “Thank you” and “you made my day better” will always make you feel good. On a service trip, you are able to see the happiness you are bringing to the people, and maybe even animals, you are helping each day you are there. You will be able to see the smiles and receive multiple thank you's for you volunteer work. Knowing you were able to impact someone’s life in a positive way is something you will be able to walk with and know for the rest of your life. Nothing is better than knowing you were able to help improve the community.

1. Experience of a lifetime

No matter where you go or what organization you are volunteering for, you will gain some knowledge, friends and memories. Going on a service trip is something you will always remember and cherish. You will remember the friends you made, the work you did and the impact you left on others. While going on a volunteer trip can be tiring and filled with a lot of hours and maybe included tasks you weren’t a fan of doing, at the end of the trip, you know it was worth it, and you will start thinking about where your next service trip can be. While your trip may not have been full of booze, beaches and boys, you have had an experience of a lifetime with plenty of memories to look back on for years to come. You may be already in the process of planning out your second service trip.

"The Best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." –Gandhi