Why You Should Do The Disney College Program

The many perks of being a cast member.

40
Lauren McGee

October 4th, 2014: the day I decided to apply for the Disney College Program. Being able to say I’ve worked for Disney is one of my favorite things to say. Only a select few each term get chosen to be a part of the Disney College Program. I remember applying on a whim after knowing two girls from my college were accepted, I thought, “why not me?” I remember being nervous as hell and wondering if I would even get the web-based interview. About 15 minutes after finishing the application I got an email alert: “Immediate Action Required Web-Based Interview”, my heart dropped into my stomach. Obviously I immediately took it and at the very end of it I was asked to schedule my phone interview. At this point I was hyperventilating. I set my phone interview for 10:00 a.m. on October 13th. I was later accepted on the 25th. I was visiting my cousin in L.A. when I found out and the next day we were going to our favorite place, Disneyland (duh), so the timing was impeccable. Having been raised in SoCal I was hoping for Disneyland, but I got Walt Disney World (bummer, right???). It was going to be my first time there and it made me even more excited.

So why should you do the college program?

1. You’re going to meet life long friends.

The people I met during my program are some of the best friends I’ve ever had. The day we all went our separate ways was the worst feeling. It’s tough going from seeing these people all day everyday for seven months to not seeing them at all so abruptly.

2. You get to say you work(ed) for Disney!

Not a whole lot of people can say that, so enjoy it! It’s fun seeing people’s eyes light up when you tell them you work (or worked) for the mouse.

3. Disney perks.

You get to go to the parks for free. Yeah, you heard me. You’re given a main gate pass and will occasionally have block out dates, but hey, beggars can’t be choosers. I know it’s different now, but you also get guest passes for friends & family if they visit you. Also flash your blue ID and get discounts on merchandise and more!

4.You’ll get some really incredible work experience.

I was in food & beverage, but that doesn’t mean I didn’t learn how to be a better employee. You’re taught to be responsible, to be held accountable, leadership skills, and you have to deal with all different types of guests. Yay.

5. It looks great on your resume.

People will talk about this all the time. It seriously enhances your resume. I have friends who did the program after they graduated college and immediately got adult jobs and were told that the fact they had Disney on their resumes is what set them apart from the other candidates for the position. It doesn’t matter what role you get, just the fact that if Disney hired you, then they should too.

6.Once in a lifetime opportunity.

Who doesn’t want to get away for four to 12 months and work for Disney? I’ve seen people apply seven times until they finally got accepted. It only took me one attempt, and I’m honored I was chosen.

7.You don’t have to always play in WDW’s parks.

Almost everyone I knew had a Universal season pass because it’s really cheap, and Universal is actually a lot of fun. While you’re living in Orlando, why not enjoy all it has to offer? Did i mention how incredible Harry Potter World is?

8. You get to know Disney secrets.

I remember knowing future Disney plans months before they announced it and felt so cool for knowing before the general public did.

9. It's where you find yourself.

I know especially during college is where most people really learn about themselves, but being 2500+ miles away from home, I learned more about myself than I ever had before.

10. At the end of your program, you find out who your real friends were.

After my program ended I noticed who instantly unfriended me or unfollowed me once we all got home, and had a good laugh.

11. When you and your friends go home, you have a reason to travel.

Now that your besties are scattered all over the world, you have an excuse to go visit them. You've always wanted to visit Boston and your BFF lives there? What a coincidence! Now you have have to go!

12. You can watch your favorite show over and over again.

Fantasmic! and Celebrate the Magic are my personal faves and being able to go and watch them whenever I wanted filled my heart with joy!

If you have the chance to apply for the Disney College Program I highly recommend it. It's an opportunity you shouldn't miss. Everyday I dream of going back and being with my DCP family. Those seven months just didn't seem real. truly the most magical experience of my life!