Why I Write

Why I Write

"Either write something worth reading or something worth writing."

2
Why I Write
Pic Jumbo

It is a Sunday night and I am sitting here in my room thinking of all that is to be done this week. The thoughts of all that needs done begin to make me feel stressed. My mind is constantly running between everything... causing me to worry, overthink, stress, but also grow. I have always been one to have a racing mind, but was better at keeping it inside and trying to sort out my thoughts instead of sharing them with others.

It was about a year ago that I had a huge mental breakdown. It seemed as though everything had hit me from the past years all at once and caused me to veer off path for a bit. I opened up to two of my best friends about what was happening and I watched my life change in that moment. They reminded me how strong I am, how they will always be there, and I will be okay.

As time continued, I constantly worked to sort through the overload of these thoughts. I had always wrote things down in a notebook when I was thinking of them and then would throw the paper away when I was done. It was a sense of putting my thoughts into words and getting them elsewhere instead of all jumbled up in my head. I realized after that moment of a breakdown that writing is something I am passionate about and love the thought of using and putting words together to express all of the craziness happening in my life.

I found a sense of hope, something that was sitting in front of me for so long, but was often overlooked as something that could completely change my life. I started writing more and more. I applied for the Odyssey and was writing weekly content about my thoughts for the week. I started writing messages to people of all of the feelings and appreciation I had for them. I wrote about the journeys I have encountered in my life and expressed how those journeys made me feel. It was truly life-changing to see the affect my words had on others and their lives. Being told I was an inspiration and made a difference in their lives as well as my own.

Today, I continue to write because the inspiration I have given others has changed my life more than anything. Learning about people's stories and what all they have been through, only to take the lessons they have learned and apply them to my own life. I write because it saved me, made me do what I thought was the impossible, and has allowed me to share my life story with others in hopes for them to see they are not alone. Some people will go their entire life without finding their passion, and I am thankful I discovered mine when I did. Taking your passion and finding you have a gift is a beautiful thing, a life-altering thing... but, the way my life has changed as a result is something I would never change.