Why Working For What I Have Has Made Me Irrepressible

It means so much more when you achieve a goal by utilizing your own opportunities.

www.mentoringmamma.com
11

It's never easy. Growing up, that is. One minute you feel flawless, the next minute, you feel as if you've been hit in the head with a ton of bricks. Adolescence is made even more challenging when one has to pave his or her own way. Some people are greatly indulged, and others have to work hard for what they get. I, for one, have never had the chance to live the "relaxed" life. Becoming a trust-fund child was a lost cause in my case. Going on lavish vacations and having live-in maids was something that only happened in Hollywood. I'm not accustomed to having things handed over to me just because I want them. I work for what I have, and I am proud of it.

In a very genuine sense, I feel sorry for those who do not have the opportunity to create this kind of self-driven path for themselves. Feeling as if you can handle situations on your own and take care of yourself without the overpowering assistance of others creates the perfect opportunity to gain confidence and empowerment. On the other hand, those who are given whatever they want do not get to experience the value of self-satisfaction and personal admiration.

When I was a kid, I thought working for what I had made me less of a person. I felt as if those who were instantly entitled to what they wanted were somehow superior to me. As I grew older, I learned that this idea of mine was far from the truth. In my opinion, working for what you need/want and striving towards the improvement of self-gives you more power than those who have things handed over. You're in a safe place because you'll always be able to work out any situation that arises throughout your inimitable journey.

Character building is an important aspect of adolescence. Without it, people are left to fend for themselves. For example, I am confident in saying that most college freshmen are clueless when it comes to doing laundry. I personally have been doing laundry since middle school, and to me, washing clothing is a humbling experience.

Another reason why people in my situation are ahead of the game is because we will never back down. We will rise to the top because we know that we are just as worthy of success and contentment as everyone else. Some kids are lucky enough to graduate college with a menial degree (that they acquired while taking full-time classes in partying) and still have their “daddy” set them up with the finest job on the market. I know many people in this position, and I don't despise them. I at least have something to be personally proud of, and along the way, I have acquired an invaluable work ethic to top it off.

The moral behind this idea is that in most cases, doing things on your own and becoming a success by the things that you do for yourself makes you extremely resilient in the end. You may not always start on top, but you don't have to look towards the ground just because others are further ahead of you. Sometimes starting out like Cinderella is a blessing in disguise. Perseverance and determination are the keys to receiving what you want out of life. The only thing that's holding you back is yourself.