Why I Won't Be Mad If The Penguins Don't Win The Stanley Cup

Maybe it would be cool to see another team win?

14
Penguins

Like any diehard Pittsburgh Penguins’ fan, I want the Penguins to win the Stanley Cup this year and every year. I don’t care who has the best record, I just want us to win. Looking at this Cup run, if we lose this round or even in the Finals, don’t get me wrong, I will be crushed and avoid NHL.com until August; however, I won’t be bitter if we don’t win the Cup. As a general sports fan, I know there is a significance if the other teams win.

St. Louis Blues

Looking at St. Louis, the city, itself, really has no professional sports teams other than the competitive St. Louis Cardinals (MLB) and the Blues. Championships, in general, are less likely for the city because of this lack of teams in comparison to other cities like New York or Los Angeles with their variety of teams in various professional sports leagues. Making it worse, St. Louis recently lost their NFL team, the Rams, to Los Angeles; therefore, the city is really in need of a pick-me-up. The Blues winning the Stanley Cup would not only shed some light on the dwindled sports town, but light will also be shed to the Blue’s Franchise because in 49 years of being a part of the NHL, the team has yet to win the Stanley Cup, even though they have played in the Finals.

San Jose Sharks

Similar to the Blues, the Sharks have never won the Stanley Cup, and San Jose only has three professional sports teams: NHL, MLS and NLL. Looking at San Jose, for them to win the Stanley Cup would be possibly even more significant than the Blues because it would be their first appearance in the Finals in franchise history. The team really hasn’t accomplished anything besides a few division titles and one President’s trophy over its 25-year existence. Winning the Stanley Cup would be a great way to end a season where the team has gone further than ever before.

Tampa Bay Lightning

The last team competing for the Cup, other than the Penguins, is the Tampa Bay Lightning. Sure, they’ve won the Stanley Cup before in 2003 and made the Finals last year, so it seems as if they’ve had the most luck and accomplishments over the Blues and Sharks’ luck and success; however, Tampa Bay also will have significance this year if they win the Stanley Cup. Like San Jose and St.Louis, Tampa only has one other professional sports team, the Buccaneers (NFL). The Buccaneers haven’t done much since their Super Bowl win in 2002; therefore, it would be fair to see another Tampa team take home a title roughly 13 years after their last NHL and NFL championships. In addition, unlike the Sharks, Blues and Penguins, Tampa has been playing and winning without their NHL star and captain Steven Stamkos since April. Although he may return before the season is all said and done, it would be cool to see a team take it all the way and win without their captain carrying and leading the team.

So, sure, not all Pittsburgh Penguins’ fans are complete Pittsburgh sports fans; however, many of them are. In Pittsburgh, we have been blessed with the NFL team with the most Super Bowl titles, the Steelers, a MLB team priming for a few playoff runs over the next few seasons, the Pirates, and an NHL team that has won more Stanley Cups than the other three teams left in the Stanley Cup Playoffs combined, the Penguins. Even if it will honestly suck to lose this round or next round and not win the Stanley Cup, it might nice to see one of the remaining cities and teams hoist that piece of silver for their fans this year.