Why Wearing Makeup is Not False Advertising

109

Makeup is not a mask. Makeup is Art. Makeup is Passion. Makeup is Expression.- Unknown

I started wearing makeup when I was around thirteen. Before then, I had worn blush and lipstick for dance recitals, but never on a daily basis. When I started wearing makeup, it was safe to say that I didn't really know how to use it properly. I only wore some slight eyeliner and mascara and a little bit of blush. But as I grew older, I ended up loving wearing makeup. I love experimenting with it. I loved that it was an art form other than painting and drawing that I was actually good at. And get this. I wear it because I like how I look with it. Not because I want other people to think I am prettier or put it on for boys to ogle at. I wear it because it is an art and a way of expressing myself. Some days I want a natural look. Some days I want a bold look. And makeup gives you so many options. I think of makeup as clothing in a sense. It is there as an expression of my personality, as an enhancement of my features, as a way of being creative.

It bothers me when some people have such a negative view on makeup. They say it's false advertising. They say that anyone who wears makeup everyday must think that they are ugly. And yes, maybe there are some girls who put on makeup to feel better about themselves. I know some days I can fall victim to that. But a majority of girls wear makeup just to appreciate themselves. To pamper themselves and to feel creative. We don't all think of it as a mask and neither should anyone else. Judging someone's face full of makeup is just as bad as judging someone without makeup. It still hurts and does not get a person anywhere in life.

I sure as hell do not care if someone thinks I wear too much makeup. That's because it is my face, and they are one opinion out of thousands. Anyone who says you wear too much makeup (in a rude way), should not be paid attention to. If you feel the need to point out others' "flaws" (I say this in quotes because often times someone thinks someone has a flaw when really they don't,), then you should maybe focus on yourself and the flaws you think you have. That would get you way further in life than making others feel bad.

Remember: Makeup is for you and only you. It should not be worn to please anyone else (and should also not be taken off to please anyone else).

P.S. This is not meant to bash the many girls who go makeup free everyday. We are all bad bitches and we all deserve praise for however we go about our life.

P.S.S. I mention girls in this article, but I am very inclusive to all the wonderful boys and men who wear makeup too. You go out there and be flawless with your highlight!