Why We Love Change On New Year

Why We Love Change On New Year

The bottom line is if we fear change, we fear progress.
7

Every New Year’s Eve is ceremoniously treated like the embarkation of a new journey. What’s strange about this is that nobody needs to wait until December 31st to write Facebook posts about how much you appreciate your friends and family or finally let go of a person who is no good for you. Moreover, most people are probably returning to the same workplace and school after the Holidays.

It seems like everyone chooses New Year’s Eve to reminisce about the past 365 days and plan how to spend the next year more wisely. While that’s a positive way to start any day, week, month, or year, it’s something you can do at any day or time. As humans, we judge our major progress, accomplishments, and growth by the years that pass us more often than by the smaller measures of time like days or weeks.

This is simply because more things typically tend to happen in the span of a year than in a day. We love planning change on New Year’s Eve because it feels like a brand new slate and the failures of the past are almost forgiven in a way that allows us to feel capable of keeping up with our resolutions for a whole new year.

Each year we face our own shares of trials and tribulations, challenges that nearly break us, and opportunities that give us life. We don’t need to wait to change something that does not suit us. Waiting is dangerous. It lowers our standards into accepting less than what we want or deserve.

In the end, if we choose waiting over acting now, we are missing out on some of those days where change could impact our lives for the better.