Why I Want To Be A Lawyer

It started with a book, a random recommendation by my high school AP Psych teacher. I loved crime shows and learning about law but thought all I could do with my life was nursing, which don't get me wrong it’s a great profession for some, but not for me. I’m not much of the healing type, or the working with sick people type. Anyways, the book was Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson which is about wrongly convicted criminals in the Southern United States. This book made me feel a deep aching in my heart for those sitting in prisons for doing nothing.

Telling people you want to be a lawyer while still in high school is a difficult task. They are looking at you as the kid who, in my instance, dressed up as an old woman for a school fundraiser and then threw hard candies at people trying to get them to donate. They see how you’ve acted for the last 18 years of your life. In high school I always wore headphones when walking around, I wore Birkenstocks no matter the weather, played the baritone sax in the school band. I wasn’t typically the kind of person to throw out this very adult thing that they wanted to do with their life. I would joke about saving money by moving in with my brother in Vegas and becoming a stripper. So not the typical lawyer type.

One of my main reasons for wanting to be a lawyer is wrongful convictions. Imagine being in prison for years and years for a crime you didn’t commit. Being told that you have to spend the rest of your life in prison because you were in the wrong place at the wrong time. I want to help those who have been wrongly convicted. Second chances are rarely given in the American justice system. Once you have been convicted they tend to not want to hear from you again or they say you can’t try for parole for at least 10 years. That is 10 years where someone is sitting in prison for doing nothing.

My goal in life is to try to help those who have been wrongly convicted. I know that I will have to start my career by representing all people but i eventually want to help those who can't get it.