Why to Go For the Advanced Diploma in High School

And why to be so proud of it

6

When I was in high school, getting the advanced diploma was very important to me. I wasn't in AP courses like my friends, or taking harder math courses (I was never a math person). But I still wanted to prove one thing to everyone- my friends, my family, my teachers, and the colleges that I would be applying to that I was an overachiever. I remember I got mad at anybody who asked if I was going for the standard diploma (someone said my response was scary- that I nearly "slapped them with my eyes")- that's how important it was to me.

People say there is no difference between a standard diploma and an advanced diploma but they are kind of wrong- not just because it says if it's advanced or not... but because an advanced studies diploma looks more impressive on you. I feel like if you go for an advanced diploma, it would make an even better impression on you. Once again, it shows you're an overachiever- you didn't have to, but you did (even though it probably wasn't easy).

I understand that it may not be easy to go for- trust me, I know, like I said I wasn't a math person either. But I think it will be worth it. This way, you can look at it several years from your graduation be even more proud of what you had accomplished. Some people may regret going for just the standard diploma, but no one regrets going for the advanced diploma (at least no one that I know).

So to all my current or incoming high schoolers out there, here's a little advice: go big! Show your peers, your teachers, the colleges that you'll one day be applying to, and even your future employers (especially if you're going right into work after college) that you don't back down from a challenge! Show them who you are- as an overachiever!