Why This Meme Is Shit

Why This Meme Is Shit

The one's who are strong enough to accept that they have a problem and proceed to getting help are wearing the capes.

52
Why This Meme Is Shit
The Mighty

I would like to set one thing clear once and for all. Depression can be caused by a wide spectrum of things such as a chemical imbalance in one's brain (this is usually referred to as Clinical Depression), genetics, an experience they have been through such as abuse, and so much more. What lies true for all these causes is that you have not been dealt an easy hand. You have been thrown through thick and thin, the good and the bad, and the ugliest things imaginable. Therefore, if there was a definition in the dictionary to define a person with depression "weak" would be an antonym. For that reason exactly is why I am openly bashing this meme.

Medication and a biomedical therapy approach is a new topic in itself. Although skimming the surface, I would like to point out a few very crucial things to know about the treatment of depression. More often than not...of course it depends on your depression type, people can not be cured from depression from solely talking things out, even if it's with a professional. In that same sense, nature can't be labeled as an antidepressant. Oh, and I will take the liberty to point out that to label something as an "antidepressant", it must be a drug. Last time I checked, and technically speaking, nature is not a drug. I will give you this, nature as well as anything brings one joy, peace, and happiness and can aid in one's treatment, this is true. However, it does not have the capability of making one better.

Aside from everything that has been mentioned, my biggest issue with this meme is that it adds to the false stigma of treating mental illnesses with medication. Mental illnesses are very real and they're most definitely debilitating to one's overall well being. There is NOTHING wrong with treating mental illnesses with medication if 1) it is helping, and if 2) there truly is something going on in one's brain from a biological standpoint. People, along with the creator of this meme, must stop thinking they are wearing a cape, because they have far from super powers. The ones who are strong enough to accept that they have a problem and proceed to getting help are wearing the capes.

The ones who go about their lives trying to fix their depression themselves instead of seeking professional help are the same people who are committing suicide. Eventually, they can't put up that tough guy act anymore because it becomes too much, and just like that, everything and all their problems come pouring down on them all at once and no matter what they do they can't make it stop.

So, although many will have differing opinions regarding this I feel that it is important to hear mine. Acting as if you are invisible is not always the solution and pills are most definitley not shit.