Why This Hate Crime On A Wisconsin Campus Should Make You Concerned

Love is the only thing more powerful than hate, but why aren't we spreading it?

35
outsmartmagazine.com

I understand that this image may be very offensive to people, but I feel like it needs to be shown in order to make clarify that things like this happen, that it needs to be addressed, and that it needs to be taken seriously.

The day after the election I was standing in line, waiting to place my coffee order, when I heard something that completely ruined my day. I was standing behind two young women my age, one was African American the other was white. None of us knew each other. As I scrolled through Twitter, I overheard the white woman ask the African American women, "excuse me, but why are you crying?" I looked up and you could tell the young woman had been crying, and she replied in a soft-spoken voice, "I was just in the Hall of Nations talking to a support group about my genuine fears. There are lots of people in there and we are all so scared." She also mentioned that some of her friends had been victims of a hate crime, one in which an individual or individuals vandalized their front door and wrote, "Go Home N****** "on it.

Throughout the entire day, the mood on campus was somber, sad, and full of fear, but when I heard this I was completely put over the edge. Do I believe this still would have happened if say Trump lost the election? Sure, because bigotry stems from more than just a win or loss.

I am hurt and disgusted that this happened to students that go to my university. Students I have never even met and might never meet.

I have something to say to the person(s) who thought writing this was simply freedom of speech.

First of all, what you wrote is a prime example of racism, verifying it's not dead. Second of all, by definition, your actions can be classified as a hate crime. Third of all, I hope you feel ashamed after the chancellor sent out an email, and after you read this. I hope you feel ashamed because without a doubt you made those students feel ashamed for simply being who they are, a human being.

These kids are trying to wash it off, they might have to get a new door, but I guarantee you this, they will never be able to get rid of the pain and fear you put into their hearts, because they now know people in their own community and school hate them simply because of their skin color. Put yourself in their shoes, and ask yourself if you would like to be treated like this by complete strangers. Lastly, if the person who did this attends UW-La Crosse, just know you are a disgrace to this school, you are a disgrace to the La Crosse community, and you are helping send America backward.

You and actions like these are the problem!

No one should have to live in fear, and that includes Muslims, Hispanics, Transgenders, Gay or Lesbian individuals. It includes every human being that has ever step foot in this country.

We just elected a new president, who I agree deserves a chance to run this country and prove himself as well as correct his past actions and mistakes, but clearly some of his own hateful words are bringing out the unfortunate racism, and hatred some American's hold in their hearts.

Trump doesn't scare me. People like you do.

Now to the people I saw walking out of the comfort and support group room today (many of which are not members of a minority group):

YOU ARE LOVED! Here on this campus, in La Crosse, in Wisconsin, and in the United States of America, you are loved.

There are Trump supports that love you, value you too, they just liked Trump's economic initiatives and other ideas more than Hilary's, and that is fair. Don't underestimate those people because some of them still have kindness and would never condone this types of actions.

We, the people, and that includes every immigrant and minority member, have a say in how this country will be run. We will always have a voice, and that is what makes America great. If we put our few differences aside and fight for what we as American's believe in, we can accomplish anything.

The ethnic diversity this country has is also what makes America so great, so please never think you, your family or your friends are not important. You are!

Now I speak to everyone:

Change needs to start, here on our campus and on campuses throughout the country, because I'm sure there this wasn't the only reported hate crime in the last few days. Change has to start here, now. We don't live in the 1800's, the south isn't going to rise again, it's 2016. I don't care if you are democratic, or republican, rich or poor, black or white, or gay or straight. Everyone is deserving of compassion, respect, and basic human rights. Just because someone is different than you doesn't make them lesser than you. I really hope we can all agree with that.

So as we go forward and into a new chapter of American history, let's write it with love, kindness, respect, open minds, and innovative thinking, regardless of your political views.