Why The Phrase “Let It Go” For Our Situations In Life Is Flawed

"Let go" of the unhealthy feelings but keep the lessons these situations have taught you.

17

We've all heard Elsa say it over and over again but why do we, as people, keep saying it over and over again?

As a 19-year-old college student, and amongst my age group I think I've heard the phrase "let it go" more than ever—thus, why I am choosing to write about it right now. It's such a simple and common phrase amongst my age and our society nowadays and I do and don't understand why. I do understand it from the point that in our society we desire this persona of absolute capability like we've all "got this".

With this mentality in mind, telling people, and even telling yourself, the words "let it go" seems like a normal thing now; many people are afraid to open themselves to help because they don't want to be uttered these words and have their feelings invalidated. But in the same society where levels of anxiety and mental health problems are higher than past generations, this "got this" mentality seems wrong.

However, we haven't taken on the aspect of wanting to actually "let it go", the desire to forget things or circumstances in our past: what if we can't "let it go"? In our same society, I feel we also clash with our mentalities in this where we are we polar sides where we either feel the need to let things go completely or store the past and juice these past circumstances to the last drop. In both, I can see why "letting go" is hard, and in both, I see how both are driven by extreme emotional storage or intensity—both things, from what I've observed, are looked down upon for the majority of our modern day world.

So, what does that mean for us?

For me, I think it means there is an issue in modern days that doesn't help a good majority of us. The phrase "let it go" is flawed in what or who it tries to help. In all honesty, it is hard to simply just let things go. We're not robots with no soul or sense of feelings, we're going to remember things that affect us. It's hard to "forgive" yourself or others from that part of the time when you can't seem to "forget". Many thrive off of trying to block things out of their memory, but t only creates more effort to do away with something that simply doesn't just go away.

Like lessons learned in a classroom, we remember these things for a reason. "Letting it go" gives nothing but the illusion that you hadn't been affected, denial in its essence. The thing is to "let go" of something could very well mean to release the issue from your forefront, and remember the issue for reference, but for the majority, it doesn't. Whether said in the stereotypical view of out of annoyance, like, "let it go already", or in the carefree, push towards positivity view of, "just let it all go", it doesn't mean it goes anywhere.

But that's the point.

Despite majority idea of "letting it go", taking back it's meaning of learning from it is something I find important in reflection. We stem from a lot of stress and a lot of anxiety or worry about when this pasts, will it happen again. Truth is we don't know, but it very well may or not. "Letting it go" should not be hard and should take less struggle to do, yet our flawed view of the phrase causes us just the opposite of that. If people hurt me, if I hurt people, choosing to move past that all comes down to me and my choices and how I want to move forward from it, rather than simply moving on. Nowadays the phrase "let it go" does not to be flawed if you decide to make it mean so much more.