The Music Department Will Always Feel Like Home

A home away from home

187
Kendall Welch

I declared my music major at CofC the moment I got here. I immediately enrolled in all three ensembles and dove into the music major.

Enrolling in all of the ensembles meant that I had a bunch of people who basically HAD to be my friends because they were around me for countless rehearsals.

Although we have all irritated each other at some point in time, the music department will always feel like home.

I feel at home in room 315C because we can all bond over not understanding and/or doing the music theory homework.

I know that every day when I go to the 2nd floor of Cato, Jordan Scott will always be there to talk about things that I don't understand, and Bates will always be there to make fun of him.

Every Friday before I go to my coaching with Dr. Byrd, Driq is always up there and we can always bond over all of the work we have to do and all of the time we don't have to do it.

Dr. Byrd and Dr. Barker are my favorite ladies ever and they will always listen to me complain about music and they are always so uplifting and ensure me that I can and will get everything done.

I always know that when I get to choir, Allie will always laugh at my jokes.

There is no greater time to bond than right before a part test when we fit as many people as possible into those tiny practice rooms. There is so much unity in those tiny rooms as we all freak out a little bit.

One of our greatest bonding times is at the horribly early calls for children's opera when we all run lines in the car on the way to performances and then freak out over the lines we messed up in the car after performances.

I always have my roommate Harper to always have the same complains as I do and to always just get what I'm talking about.

I can always count on Omar to be at school with a smile and a Zumba outfit on.

There is ALWAYS someone debating whether Chipotle or Moe's is better.

No matter what, I know I always have a place to go sit and have someone to talk to. I know I always have someone to eat lunch with and I know I always have someone to complain about music theory with.

Every single person in the music department means something to me and I am so glad we all get to experience college so similarly and share each other's struggles and successes.