The March For Our Lives In NYC Was Ineffective

It was one giant photo op.

208
Kendall Welch

I want to preface this article by saying that the survivors of the Parkland shooting are so brave and have made huge strides by creating the March for Our Lives. I watched the speeches that they gave at different marches around the country and they were extremely moving and deeply demonstrated the gun problems that our society faces. These survivors saw the changes they want to make, and they are making huge strides to make that happen.

I attended the March for Our Lives in New York City. It was cool and there were a TON of people there with lots of funny sign. However, that is not the point. People tend to use these marches as photo opportunities with their signs, as you will notice on Instagram.

New York City got to the point where people could not march because it was so crowded that the streets reached maximum occupancy.

I noticed during the march that there wasn't much going on. People were just taking photos with their signs and chatting about anything but gun reform. There were big speakers playing Shawn Mendes and Justin Bieber and people were gleefully dancing away.

As apparent when watching recordings of the speeches from students in places like D.C., this is not supposed to be just a fun event where people go take photos and catch up with friends, this is supposed to be an event where we make strides to actually change the gun laws and help students and teachers attend schools safely.

While I was at the march in NYC, there were not any speeches. There were just a bunch of like-minded people standing together on the streets. In my opinion, this does not make changes in our country. A real way to make changes would be to help people to register to vote, which I saw one woman attempting to do, and exposing the dangers of assault rifles to people who are otherwise ignorant on the subject.

In my opinion, posting your opinions on social media is more effective than marching with a bunch of people who already agree with you, because you are bound to be friends with someone on Facebook who disagrees with you.

One way in which the march could be seen as effective is by people bringing their children to the march. By bringing children, parents have to explain to them what the NRA is and what the current regulations are and what changes should be made. So people who bring their children to the march are impacting the future leaders of America.

This is not the fault of the Parkland survivors, because they created the march and did give speeches, but to me, it seemed like a big opportunity to post on social media.