Why The Best Way To Get More Is To Give More

Philanthropic causes are growing at warp speed on college campuses.

3

A college campus is one of our country's most incredible communities. Everywhere you look, there is social revolution happening. Hundreds of student groups and organizations on campuses across the country are promoting causes, spreading awareness, challenging the status quo and making big things happen.

More specifically, the concept of giving back has taken over the entire millennial generation. A survey from 2013 shows that 56 percent of men ages 18-34 have donated to charity compared to 36 percent of older men (35 or older). It also shows that 61 percent of women ages 18-34 that have given to charity are happier because of it, compared to 41 percent of older women (35 or older) that have donated. Older generations call us the lazy generation, but what about the giving generation?

There are nearly countless ways that a college student can devote even a fraction of their time and effort toward helping others, and every day those organizations are growing. Any group with a goal in mind seeks to improve on that goal year after year no matter what the goal may be. Intramural teams want to win more games. Student governments want to help make the student voice louder in university policy-making. Philanthropic groups want to do more good and help more people.

What a great thing to buy into. I think it's absolutely astonishing that there are people in this world that think helping others for the sake of helping others is somehow corny or uncool. These people are few and far between, but this kind of attitude is downright evil if you ask me. With that said, I like to think that people my age are big players in the fight to make service and philanthropy cultural norms instead of admirable qualities that only the special among us possess.

The simple fact that I and thousands of other college students can attest to is that the best way to get more is to give more.

Doing something good for someone else just because you want to is the most rewarding thing you can do. How can you possibly feel bad knowing that there's a smile on someone's face, food on a family's table or that a life can continue because of you? I think embracing a life of giving back, even if it's just a little bit, makes the meaning of life pretty simple. No matter what you do in life, you're wasting your time if you're doing it all for no one but yourself. Living with the knowledge that the world is a better place because you were alive is the surest way to lie on your death bed without an ounce of regret.

So, no matter where you find it, an opportunity to give back is an opportunity that you shouldn't let slip by. You don't have to abandon your worldly possessions and join the Peace Corps. You just have to live with the attitude that if you aren't going to leave a positive impact everywhere you step, then you should just take a seat because the world doesn't have room for people who are out to bring others down. There are so many ways you can leave your own positive impact, you just have to be willing to look for it.