Why Students Need Time To Get Used To Living At Home Again

We're not trying to complain, just telling it how it is.

3
Google Images

Being at home for summer break can bring many challenges along with the time off and relaxation. For many college students, it is a shock to come home after nine months of being with your best friends with no adult supervision to suddenly having to tell a parent where you're always headed out to and what time you'll be home. You now have to share a bathroom with a brother or sister, which can sometimes be more awful and disgusting than sharing with your suite mates, and it seems like there is always some urgent task that needs to be done to help out around the house.

Don't get me wrong, we do realize that summer is not all about us getting what we want. We know we are expected to be productive and get a job or continue school and do our part. However, we are only human, and therefore need some time to recharge, adjust our schedule and then get to work again.

I don't know about other students, but the thing I was looking forward to most was having a room to myself and finally getting some quality alone time. Unfortunately, that is extremely hard to do with a parent or sibling coming in to your room to check in on you, ask a favor, or just bombard you with questions about college the second you get home. After living within ten feet of another human all year long, you don't realize how much you miss and need time to be alone.

After spending months being able to plan your own schedule and know exactly what to expect out of a typical day, it's very frustrating to have someone tell you what to do and at what specific time. Trust me parents, it's not that your young adults are now selfish and not respecting you, it has to do with the fact that our world has been turned upside down from our norm.

Give us another week or so to get used to not just walking out the door heading into town to meet friends, to get used to letting you know where we are at midnight when we got carried away hanging out and chatting with our best friend, and enough time to be nice about having to run errands for you at 9 a.m. It's a big change to have someone care about our whereabouts every minute of every day enough to bother us about it, but it's a nice change, and we can get used to it.