Why I Stopped Reading The News

Why I Stopped Reading The News

Cutting the news out of your life will most likely help you.
119

The news is depressing. Politics is a joke and nothing good is happening across the globe, or at least nothing good is showing up in the news. As a student, life consists of studying and late nights. Before, I would make time (usually when I wanted to procrastinate) to check the news and keep myself updated on the news. Now, I will occasionally read the news, but social media usually keeps me updated on the big events. Yes, it's good to keep yourself updated on current events, but when the news is actually effecting your mental state, you should take a break and focus on yourself.

I stopped reading the news because it made me sadder to know that so many innocent people were hurt across the world and sixteen year old me couldn't really do much to help them. I was already so stressed from school and the news would add to that stress, that I decided to cut it out of my life. The world sucks and it's even suckier that you can't do a thing to help people across the world. My mom tells me that it's normal to feel sad about current events because it shows that you still have that humanity in you. But she also says to balance how much you look at the news to stay mentally healthy, and for me, that balance was to stop looking at the news. On top of that, you can't completely trust any news source completely because sometimes, you never know the true story.

You might say that it's "selfish" that I care about my mental health and that I "don't care about humanity" because I don't look at the news. Or maybe that I am "ignorant" and I'm just making excuses because some news sources are completely true. But I won't care because I am taking care of my mental health, and in order for me to make an impact on the world and help others, I need to make myself stronger first.

Instead of reading the news and wallowing in my self-pity about how I couldn't help anyone, I took that time to improve my own lifestyle. I started focusing on what I could do to help myself be a better a person, then on what I could do to help others. I started helping out with service projects and started my orientation for volunteering at the local hospital. I am slowly making changes to my life to make myself better so I can help others. If I was still checking the news daily like I used to, I wouldn't have gotten the motivation to make these changes or try to be a better person.