Why I Started Writing For Odyssey

Why I Started Writing For Odyssey

The Odyssey has become my lifeline this semester, and I am so thankful I found it.
78

I want to share my story of why I began writing for the Odyssey at my school. I have always had a passion for writing. From an early age, I loved to write, whether it was creatively, expressively, even narratively. Now, I find that my primary form of expression comes from writing. I enjoy purging my feelings, emotions, and thoughts onto a blank page, whether it's a seemingly insignificant detail about my day or a profound revelation. Sometimes I want to write down a quote I heard or a fact I learned that I want to remember. I’ve always loved to write, but I have done nothing public with it. This year I made a pact with myself to get more involved at school: join at least one club in the Fall semester. I had not heard about the Odyssey before this year, but when I coincidentally came across their table at the Involvement Fair, I knew I would fulfill my pact.

My favorite part about the Odyssey is its freedom. I am able to write about whatever I want; whatever is on my mind. It can be something I want to share with the community or simply something I personally find interesting. I find writing to be liberating and refreshing, and it can be a very powerful form of making connections and facilitating change. If I can write something that positively influences or effects just one person, I feel as though I am making a difference in the world in my own small way.

The Odyssey as a whole is a community with hundreds of smaller ones embedded within. Everyone has a voice, and everyone’s voice can be heard. I don’t feel judged for what I write or pressured to write about a specific topic. The expression aspect of this community is profound, and I encourage anyone who has an interest in writing to consider joining their own Odyssey community. It’s not about how popular your article is or how many people share it, but that the content is valuable to you and has the opportunity to also become valuable to another person. That is why I started writing for the Odyssey at Merrimack College.