Why Social Media Has Become The Worst

Why Social Media Has Become The Worst

This is one terrible hangover.
39

I've said before that I think Twitter might be one of the greatest inventions in the last decade. Following the events of November 8th, I could not be anymore wrong.

Pardon my language, but everything has gone to shit in the social media world. This election has ruined it all. It's my fault, your fault, everyones fault. This election cycle has been by the far the most dividing issue in America since the inception of social media, and it has also been the first time the majority of social media users have voted and participated in an election.

On November 9, about 45% of those social media people got real angry, scared, and emotional. And the other 45% were very happy, boastful, and ready to strike.

So many Trump supporters have been blasted and shamed over the past couple of months, and most of them have been quiet about it. Liberals and Clinton supporters thought they had this in the bag, and boy, were they wrong. And suddenly, everyone who was certain for victory was loser and on the defensive.

So you've got very sore losers and very sore winners and they are battling it out on social media.

What better place to have a nice, well organized, civil dispute than on a website that only allows you to type 140 characters? So instead of getting well though-out rational arguments, we get the extreme rhetoric from both sides and no one can explain anything and it just turns to chaotic name calling and insults.

But irrational, nonsensical argument isn't the only terrible thing about social media now. The other terrible part is the "news."

Oh god, the news people are using.

Disregard what political party you lean towards or whoever you support, please I beg you, don't believe something on the internet as factual information because it's "news." A lot of people say, "Well I don't have time to check if it's real or factual or not, so I'm just gonna post it anyway."

No. NO. STOP. THAT'S THE PROBLEM.

I cannot tell you how many completely wrong, untrue, non-factual things I have seen shared across social media. It's depressing, actually. If you have the time, please watch this segment from John Oliver's show "Last Week Tonight" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rSDUsMwakI) where he goes over how false news is destroying us.

People flinging around non-factual nonsense as absolute truths is ruining any and all discussion even further. So much to the point where I just can't handle it anymore. I can't look at social media, and I can't even think about the election, Trump, or politics in general anymore. I'm so burnt out the thought of politics repulses me.

Look, I'm disappointed Clinton lost, but it is what it is. Every four years half the country loses an election. But they've never had such an open, ready and available outlet to shed their thoughts onto.

Now twitter was definitely here during the 2008 and 2012 elections, but not many (god I hate this word so much) "millennials" were voting yet, and honestly they didn't care what happened because they thought it didn't effect them. But since they can vote now, and so much shit has been spewed from both sides about the other, everyone thinks anyone who doesn't agree with them is either a homophobic, white-nationalist, racist, or a politically correct, cry-baby, know-nothing millennial.

If the discussion was bad before, it's gotten so low I honestly have given up.

I can even get angry about anything Trump appoints or does because it's just not worth the fight. And by the way, the man is not even President yet, and everyone thinks the world is going to end. They want to abolish the electoral college, they want electors to change their vote, and they want to suddenly change the entire election system.

That's not how elections work.

Just because you lose doesn't mean you go and change the entire political structure of elections. Clinton may have won the popular vote, but that doesn't mean anything. Trump's voters represented more voters across the country (including critical swing states). He won the popular vote in most states, and that's why he's president.

If you want to change something, stay involved, get engaged, KEEP VOTING. Go out and vote in midterm elections, donate to institutions you support that will fight for you. Because I'm telling you, fighting on social media is just not worth it. The system isn't going to change, and Donald Trump is not going to destroy this country. The government system will not allow it.

Will things change? Yes.

There is more than just liberal perspectives and opinions on policy, government, and issues, and you have to respect that the people voted him into office.

Well, this went farther than I thought it would. But this will be the last time I talk about politics for a while. I'm almost exhausted just writing this article. All I can ask is please, please, PLEASE but civil with your fellow Americans.

If they go low, you go high, don't give into the fight. Don't fall into the pit of aggression.

If you see something, fact check it, find the source, fact check that source, find your own opinions. Do not believe everything you read as truth.

Please act differently than you have the past six months. Everything makes it look like the country is going to shit, but it's not. At least not yet. We will be great aga- oh god damnit.