Why I Refuse To Settle

Why I Refuse To Settle

And I'm not sorry for it.

284
Why I Refuse To Settle
Weheartit

Even though finding a potential person to build a life with isn’t my number one priority right now (hello 22 and free with career goals), I can’t say I don’t ever want to.

Eventually, I will become one of those annoying girls who flashes her ringless finger to random guys at the bar, who feels like her biological clock is ticking at 26. I'm definitely not one of those people who "wants" to be alone forever, and I've had my fair share of failed relationships.

I want someone who will read bedtime stories in silly voices to our kids until they fall asleep, someone who has my favorite food waiting for me at home when I’ve had a bad day at work (preferably a Pizza Hut dinner box) and in general, just someone who gets me when I don’t even understand myself.(anxiety, duh). And let’s be real here, if he can’t make spontaneous trips to the store to pick up “products’" for me because he's "embarrassed,"then I don’t want him. A guy like that is no good. Some may say my standards are too high and that I'll never find anyone if I actually expect Prince Charming in every guy that I meet.

The real question here is, why would I want anything less than that? I see so many girls on my Facebook and in real life who have gotten themselves into relationships that I know they aren’t happy in. I can tell by how many times the words “in a relationship” and “single” go back and forth on their profiles with the same guy. Ask yourself these questions right now, does he make you laugh so hard you cry? Does he make you laugh at all? If he doesn't, then you have a problem. A major one. Dump him now. When you cry, does he tell you to "get over it" and that your problems are stupid? Or does he sit next to you, telling you everything will be OK? Does he kiss you goodbye every morning that you leave for work, telling you to get home safe, or does he sit on the couch so into the latest Xbox game that he doesn't even realize that you left? (For the love of God, please don't marry him if he does the second option). I refuse to settle for someone just because I don't think that anything better exists. Because believe me, ladies, if you cut out that toxic energy from the relationship you're in right now, you will find someone better. Cut out the complaints, worries and mistrust that you've been dealing with for years, if not months. You will find a man who does all the things I listed above (the good things), and much more. It's OK to be alone. Take some time off to find yourself without it all weighing you down.

Please don't marry the guy who sits in silence when you tell your stupid jokes or laughs at your insecurities when he's with his friends. I know deep down that what you have right now isn't what you want to wake up next to for the rest of your life, for you or your future kid's sake. And men who are constantly guilty of any of the bad scenarios I listed (see beginning to middle to end of article), step up or watch her leave because she finally realized what she could have. Watch your entire world walk out on you because she gave you chance after chance, and you ruined it each time. Step up, or step down to the man that will treat her like the beautiful soul she is.

So, ladies, just to wrap it up, don't apologize to your friends when they get mad at you for turning down the guy at the bar who wanted to take you home for a "no-pants dance." You deserve way more than a one night stand or a crappy relationship. You deserve a companion, a best friend and someone to call you beautiful every morning and night for the rest of your life. Never settle for less.