Why Pokemon Go Is Just A Game

Why Pokemon Go Is Just A Game

An honest review of the world's latest fad

26
Why Pokemon Go Is Just A Game
Niantic

Pokemon Go is grabbing the world by its neck and seemingly choking everyone out regardless if they play or not. Let's get things straight first. This app is a trend and it is hot. The point of this article is to counter argue the negative representation this game has received and not put select instances under a microscope.

Personally I think it is a fun game and a great way to get out and interact with other people in the world around you. This game is not meant to exercise people or change the world over night. If it does do that for some people, great. But it probably won't in the long term. The fire that is raging is the controversy of this game. Like anything new, there will be haters and lovers alike and each will find ways to use the new-found phenomenon to annoy the other. We have seen countless reports of people getting injured and making mistakes "because of the game." The answer is a hard no, they are very wrong.

They are choosing to not focus on their surroundings and are not going to admit their mistake because it is easier to blame someone else than accept the blame for yourself. That being said, if you're injuring yourself or someone injures you, it is the fault of the person not the device. These people would have injured themselves using another app or mobile device just the same. (Remember, guns don't kill people. People kill people.) Just because a Pokemon appears on a map inside someone's yard, too bad. There will be countless other locations to catch the Pokemon. There is no excuse for trespassing. The players are choosing to do this. The game is not directing them to do so.

On a lighter note, I think that this game has brought a lot of people joy and is proving to create fun experiences. Playing the game has gotten me to walk a bit more and enjoy the summer evenings outside. It also has allowed me to meet some other people who I probably would not have seen or run into. At the same time, like anything new, there are concerns. People need to be aware of their surroundings when playing this game. The game even warns you of this right as it is loading.

So basically, if you walk off a cliff, you are at fault. The game does not physically move you off a cliff. To me, this game is no different than any other app on any mobile device. Mobile devices distract people because they choose to focus on the phone rather than their surroundings. There, that settles that. You can't blame an app for your fault.

To how I feel about this game? This game is awesome. The reason why I like it is the potential that it has. It is not perfect by any means. For starters, the game needs more musical content. What it has is good material that sounds authentic to the 8-bit Pokemon era but it gets too repetitive just like the old games. We now have better middle-ware and game audio processing so why not use it? This game also lacks greatly in game locations and features from its predecessors. It would be cool to see friendly Pokemon battles between friends outside of gyms and other ways to sell your items or collect stardust. I understand that the game is in its infancy still so I hope that these topics will be addressed in the future. At the end of the day, Pokemon Go is a game. It will be fun for some people and not so fun for others. So if it's fun for you, try to not walk into traffic or harass people to play the game. If you don't like the game, don't be a nuisance to those who are enjoying themselves.

To end this, here are a few wonderful gifs and memes that this game has brought us.