Our 20s Don't Have To Be As Magical As People Say They Are

Being not quite a kid, but not quite an adult is probably the hardest in-between place to be

17
The Footnotes

Almost every movie, every song, and every older person in my life has made it sound like your 20s are the absolute best time in your life. I've been in my 20s for a year now, and I'm sitting here, like -- really? This is the "best" time of my life? Yikes. I've got a long road of even more subpar years ahead of me if that's the case.

The freedom we have right now seems to be what people look back and reminisce about. The fact that we don't have mortgages, children, bills, and full-time jobs seems to be part of what shapes freedom. Skipping class for a long weekend away with friends is much easier than skipping work to do the same thing when you're really in the adult world. But, what I think no one tells you when they reminisce is this: being in your 20s and figuring out who you are and what you want in life is freakin' hard.

Not only is it hard to just figure things out and figure out which direction you want to move in, but you also have to be mentally prepared to invest the necessary time to figure those things out. You can't just sit down and have everything mapped out and planned perfectly in one day. No, this is a process, and it probably changes at least a little bit every single day.

Our 20s are great because it's this beautiful time in our lives where we are truly creators. Creators of ourselves. We get to decide right now how we want to be -- do we want to be giving with our time? Or take lots of extra-good care of ourselves before taking care of anyone else? Do we want to focus on being young and having fun while we can? Or do we want to spend our time investing in our impending future? These are all incredible opportunities to define and redefine ourselves over and over. Who we were the day before doesn't have to be who we are tomorrow because our jobs, our families, and our lives don't depend on us staying the same all the time yet.

The biggest lesson I'm learning in my 21st year of life in this world is that it's OK; in fact, it's vital, that I give myself the time to redefine myself over and over again, and never stop. And it's OK to not know exactly where you want to end up, or how to get to where you want to end up. As long as you're trying to figure those things out day by day, and learning more about what you want and don't want out of life, I think some tumultuous early 20s could be setting us up for some kick-ass mid-20s and early 30s. Which doesn't sound half bad to me.