Deciding To Not Wear A Face Mask Is Selfish

There are two common arguments amongst people who refuse to wear a mask in the middle of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Either "I know I don't have coronavirus, I don't need one" or "research shows they actually don't do anything" — something along those lines.

First of all, you don't know that you don't have COVID-19. Even if you've already had it once, even if you've recently been tested, even if you don't know anyone with it — you don't know that you don't have it. Antibodies certainly protect you from getting any virus a second time, but it is not impossible for infection to still happen.

We just don't know. Not enough credible research has been done, but if we're going to assume, let's err on the side of caution. If you've recently been tested, unless you have been 100 percent isolated since your test, you don't know that you don't have it. I don't care if you got results back today from a test you took a week ago — if you were out and about yesterday, you could still be infected. Lastly, knowing that people can be asymptomatic, arguing that you don't know anyone with COVID-19 is just ignorant. You could be asymptomatic! You could've gotten it from work this morning!

Claiming that you don't have it simply because you think you don't is just reckless, and it puts everyone you come in contact with at risk.

Secondly, research doesn't show shit. There is so much conflicting research surrounding this subject, so again, why would we not err on the side of caution? At the very least, why would we not follow in the footsteps of countries who have been successful in containing the virus? Other countries strictly enforced masks, stay at home orders, and social distancing and are doing much better than us.

America needs to lose the ego, stop acting entitled, and wear a fucking mask.

I don't care if it's uncomfortable. I don't care if you think it's against your rights. I don't care if you think it's stupid. This is not about you. You could potentially be hurting others, and it does not hurt you to put on a mask for the 20 minutes you're in the grocery store.

Lastly, ask yourself this: if you lost your closest loved one to COVID-19 today, would you wear a mask out tomorrow? Are you ignoring this issue simply because it hasn't directly affected you? I've already lost one family member due to COVID-19, and this week I'm almost guaranteed to lose another, as my 98-year-old great grandmother has just begun to show symptoms after a positive test.

If you won't wear a mask for yourself, please think of someone you care about and do it for them. People are dying and you can stop it.