Why Non-Fiction Doesn’t Hold My Interest For Long

Fiction lets you create your own world in your head. It helps you disconnect from the world! Momentarily.

82
Thought Catalog

How often has someone attempted to convince you to skip a non-sense fantasy story and read something real. There are these world famous fantasy stories like "Harry Potter," "Lord of the Rings," "The Hobbit," and "Game of Thrones" which are read all over the world by almost all age groups, although I have never read one of them.

My interest in fiction lies in crime, mystery, and thrillers. The thought that pops into my mind when someone asks me to skip these books is - I get one life. Why do you want to take away the only time I can actually disconnect from the world and forget my problems and immerse myself in my world of characters and stories with plot twists? Let me have my kind of fun!

I'll first discuss why reading nonfiction literature is important, then I will transition into my explanation for my dislike of the genre. Non-fiction literature is very vast. It covers many fields such as history, politics, psychology, science, biographies, etc.

History is something I hated when I was in school. The subject seemed like a torture session for me. I know there are many people who spend their lives studying and investigating it, but it isn’t for me. It feels like it drains my energy. However, there were few history books that didn't bore me, but those of which I cannot recall the names.

Transitioning to politics, I see it all day. I see it discussed in small group of people to a large group, in a state, in a country and even in between countries. Politics has become a word with a negative connotation attached. People often question society's current political situation, although I wish that mindset could be changed among the masses. Until this mindset is changed, I will not be reading any topic articles on politics.

Psychology books are the only non-fiction books that I absolutely love. I have less experience with it though. I have just read all the books authored by Malcolm Gladwell. I can only comment on those. Malcolm Gladwell writes in such a simple language that his books are easily accessible by a large group of people in the society. It avoids a lot of psychology jargon which can confound people and that keeps the book interesting.

Fiction, on the other hand, allows you to create your own characters -- their appearance, their voice, and fighting strategies are just some instances in the creative process. I can only talk about mysteries, thrillers and crime fiction. I started reading the "Famous Five, Mystery Series and Secret Seven" by Enid Blyton when I was about 10 years old and I think that got me hooked to this genre.

It didn’t take me much time to finish those books which are often referred to as a page turner book. The images on the book let me imagine how the characters might look, how their faces might look when they were frightened or scared and so on. I slowly moved on to thrillers and crime fiction. They always have been a pleasure to read. These books keep me entertained. They help me relax a bit from the pressures of the real world. As I said earlier, it helps me disconnect.

If you have never read a fiction, I would recommend that you do. You have to try different genres in fiction to see which one “clicks” for you and becomes a page turner. Sure, non-fiction has loads of knowledge instilled in it and it is great for people who read it and can make use of it. I can’t do either of them. It’s just not my cup of tea (or coffee).