Marijuana, A Solution To The Opioid Crisis
Family Friends

A perspective on the potential solution of medical marijuana to replace opioid medication, and combat the opioid crisis.

1009
Syringe, Bottles, Pills, white background

"Hi Janice, how is everything?" Susan asked as she hugged her friend.

"Everything is ok at the moment, I am just feeling hazy today"

"I'm sorry to hear, especially today. What medication are you taking?"

"I don't know the exact name of the medication, but it is an opioid" Janice responded.

"Well, how long have you felt like this?"

"Since I started taking it, which was about 4 or 5 weeks ago."

"Are there any other alternatives that you can take besides this medication that you're on?" Susan asked.

"My doctor gave me three choices, but all of them were opioids, and he said basically they are all the same. So, I just took the one he told me was the best. Why are you asking?" Janice said.

"I'm asking because similarly to you when I had a bad fall recently, I was looking at different medicines for the pain. However, I am currently on medical cannabis pills right now" Susan replied.

"What? I couldn't even tell that you were high!" Janice said surprisingly.

"Janice, I would not go to a funeral high, these medical marijuana pills don't have that side effect on me," Susan said while rolling her eyes.

"Wait, what?"

"Yes, Janice. My doctor helped me get into this medical marijuana program that is provided by Pennsylvania. I have heard all of the statistics about opioids, and after what happened to Adam, well you know, I did not want to put any of that stuff in my body" Susan explained.

"Do you have to be in that program in order to get these pills?" Janice asked Susan.

"No, you don't have to, but you would save a lot of money if you were" Susan replied.

"How much are the pills if you are not part of the program?"

"It is hundreds of dollars, and that is because medical insurance will not cover it" Susan said.

"Well, then what am I supposed to do??"Janice asked.

"Ask your doctor to see if you can get into that program. But until more research is done you've got to just stick to the medicine" Susan replied.

"Janice, Susan, we're about to start. Susan, are you ready to give your speech?" a man asked soon after opening the door. Susan nodded and held Janice's hand as walked to the door.

"Good morning friends, family, and our loved ones. We are gathered here today to mourn the loss of Adam, who tragically passed away from an opioid overdose a couple of weeks ago. Before telling you all the life of Adam, I would just like to ask that we support his family, especially his mother Janice, in this time of need" Susan told the crowd while looking over the black but shining coffin in the center of the church.

But before she could continue her speech, Janice fastly walked out the door in grief, and Susan followed her friend outside the church again.

For Further Reading:

Ken Alltucker "Marijuana as a cure for opioid use? Nation's top drug scientist says she's skeptical"

Ryan Faircloth "Medical marijuana helping users combat opioids in Minnesota, but some doctors have concerns"

Brett Molina "Americans more likely to die of opioid overdose than car crash, council report says"

Wiese and Wilson-Poe "Emerging Evidence for Cannabis' Role in Opioid Use Disorder"