Why I Love Tove Lo and Why You Must Listen to Her New Album "Lady Wood"

Tove Lo is an incredible artist and her voice deserves to be heard.

149
Island Records

Ever since Tove Lo's hit song "Habits (Stay High)" started topping the charts in 2014, this talented Swedish singer has become a worldwide sensation. Tove Lo's first EP Truth Serum featuring "Habits (Stay High)" was released on March 3rd, 2014 followed by her first full length album Queen of the Clouds, which was released later on that year on September 24th. Her newest album, Lady Wood, was just released last month on October 28th and it definitely does not disappoint.

The songs on Queen of the Clouds were brilliantly broken up into three stages of a relationship: The Sex, The Love, and The Pain. Similarly, the tracks on Lady Wood are categorized into two parts, Fairy Dust (Chapter I) and Fire Fade (Chapter II) with exactly five songs in each section. The songs featured in Fairy Dust are about the highs people experience during life and during relationships while the songs featured in Fire Fade are about the lows. It is a genius concept to divide songs on the album into these categories because it allows listeners to relate their emotions and experiences through the stages and phases in life in which they occur. Tove Lo has songs for every emotion to help her listeners get through these times in their lives and to know that their emotions are valid and that they aren't alone.

For example, "Cool Girl" is a song off of Lady Wood in which Tove Lo sarcastically calls herself a cool girl, not caring where the relationship is going or even about the labeling. In interviews she explained that it's very common in relationships for someone to try to be the "cool" person, like it's a competition to see who cares less in order to avoid falling too hard, being too open, and getting hurt. Love and relationships shouldn't be like that, which is why Tove Lo pokes fun of that trend in her song. She wants people to know that people should just be real with each other instead of playing those foolish games. "Vibes" is another great song off of Tove Lo's newest album featuring Joe Janiak. This song is all about passionate romance, when two people are so in love and their souls are just completely intertwined feeding off of each other's vibes. Then in her song "Imaginary Friend" she talks about that voice in her head and that gut feeling that is always there to guide her and be there for her throughout life's many challenges and struggles because at the end of the day, you are truly the only one there for yourself and truly the only one who understands what it's like to be in your exact position living your life. These are just three of the amazing songs off of this masterpiece new album.

Lady Wood is all about femininity, independence, resilience, and female empowerment. The term "lady wood" itself means a female hard-on. Tove Lo is never one to shy away from opening up and talking about some heavy topics such as personal struggles, mental illness, pain, joy, sex, love, heartbreak, and feminism. That is one of the countless qualities I love so much about her. Tove Lo is bold, fierce, and honest. If you ever watch her talk in interviews, you can clearly tell what a genuine, open, and down to earth person she is. Through her song lyrics you can tell how passionate she is. Her lyrics are personal, meaningful, inspirational, insightful, and extremely relatable. Whether you need a good cry or want to dance around to some upbeat songs for a good time, Tove Lo's music is the perfect soundtrack. Tove Lo stands up for equality and for human rights for all. She is a passionate feminist and a very powerful, independent, creative, strong- willed, and strong-minded woman. She has the best sense of humor, the best outlook on life, and the best personality. I highly recommend you check out her interviews, music videos, live performances, and her new short film Fairy Dust. The content of Fairy Dust is very explicit, but it is an extremely well done work of art portraying mental illness, love, heartbreak, self-doubt, and the struggles of being in an abusive relationship with others as well as with yourself within the dark places of your own mind.

I was blessed and fortunate enough to see Tove Lo perform live on my 18th birthday back in the fall of 2015, and she sounded just as incredible and perfect live as she does on her album recordings. Her stage presence is without a doubt charismatic and captivating, and she really just knows how to connect with her audience and her fans. I cannot even begin to express just how much I love her, how much she inspires me, how beautiful of a soul she is, and how incredible and talented of a singer and a musician she is. She is truly a gift to this world and her voice and message needs to be heard. I am so proud of all she has accomplished so far and I can't wait to see what she will continue to do in the future.