A Liberal Arts College Is The Way To Go

A Liberal Arts College Is The Way To Go

Thanks to my liberal arts school, I have grown as a person and student.
63

A lot of people assume that going to a liberal arts college is a waste of time.

"People who go to a liberal arts school just don't know what they want to do in life yet."

The truth is, going to a liberal arts school is just a different approach to education. The focus is being well-rounded. Us millennials believe that we don't want the same boring job our whole lives. We want to go through change in our careers and to have exciting careers. Going through a liberal arts education gives us an edge on being able to succeed different ways. In fact, 80% of employers want people with a broad array of knowledge focused through a liberal arts education (U.S & World Report News, 2016).

The general education requirements.

At first, this can seem confusing or frustrating. Having to take a college-level biology course even though you're a business major can make you feel a little upset. Having to take a statistics course or even a calculus course, even though you want to be a teacher. Even having a marine biology major take a modern history course. It all seems complicated and time-consuming, but it makes us stronger students. Going through a hard class that isn't even near your major interest feels empowering and determines you to succeed.

It makes you a more confident student. It is easier to have an intellectual conversation with people when you know a wide range of topics. I would have never been able to talk about the controversy of genetically mutated cells, as a business and psychology major, if I didn't have to take a biology course. We are also able to explore topics of interests, even if it doesn't have a correlation to our major. It enables us to take religious classes or a philosophy course if we are curious about it, even though we could be anything from an arts management major to a political science major.

Being at a liberal arts school has made me a better person and student. There are some schools that are focused on one or two popular majors, but liberal arts schools are focused on all majors. There are so many class selections at liberal arts schools, it's hard for the school to put a spotlight on specific majors.

Liberal arts students learn diligence. We are not afraid of failure. We want to engage in subjects that are not our specialty. Liberal arts schools are statistically more diverse. My college has allowed me to meet people that I would not have met otherwise. It makes you realize how different we are from one another, but also how much we have in common at the same time. At a liberal arts school, it is easier to branch out.