Why It's Silly To Try To Plan Out Your Life

You can plan out your life as much as you want, but ultimately what's supposed to happen will happen.

22
betterhealthwhileaging.net

Life plans rarely, if ever, work out.

You think you know what you want, what you should do and what will be the best for you -- and even if we might know, life knows more.

When I was a senior in high school, I was supposed to go to a four year college to study hospitality. The summer after I graduated, I decided to go to my local community college for fear of loans and to study kinesiology instead. During my first semester of college, I applied for the Disney College Program for the spring semester. After not getting in, I filled out an application to transfer to a university the following fall to study psychology. However, even after I did that, during my freshman spring semester, I still applied once again for the Disney College Program for the fall semester of my sophomore year -- I didn't get in once again. I began to realize at this point, school wasn't for me yet and I wanted some time away. That same semester, I changed my major twice more (business then global studies) and applied to volunteer to teach English in China. Little did I know what a life-changing impact this quick decision would have on my entire life from there on out.

Now I'm back in the United States and it's the summer before my supposed "junior" year in college. Once I returned back home from my semester abroad, I applied to go back to China that fall semester as a head teacher and was accepted. That was the new plan, while old plans of transferring to a university or eventually marrying my high school sweetheart crumbled beneath all the effects of my new decisions. Then Disney Recruiting emailed me notifying me that the Disney College Program applications have opened. For the third time I applied to the Disney College Program and this time I was finally was accepted and that is where I'll be heading in just two months.

Everything happens for a reason --- whether we like it or not and whether we know what the reason is yet or not. But as time continues on, the lessons begin to unfold and you see why something had to happen or why it didn't.

Never would I have ever thought that my life would be the way it is, that I'd be the person I am and that I'd be doing the things I'm doing today back when I was a high school senior.

As I continue to dream up all the things I want to accomplish, places I want to go and things I want to do, this phrase sticks with me, "You can do anything you want, but not everything you want." There's not enough time in the world do plan out everything we want to accomplish and experience in our lives, so it takes picking, choosing and prioritizing through those.

You can plan and plan and plan and while it's good to have some sort of road to follow, follow it lightly and understand that life ultimately has the final say and what's supposed to happen will inevitably happen.